Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

late enrollments

How can a school catch the students who fall through the cracks in the enrollment process?

Maureen--

I have found the best way to stop students from falling through the cracks is to have an excellent process in place that tracks every step. Managers should continually and regularly review these reports with the appropriate personnel to ensure students are progressing appropriately.

Ideally, every student would have comments/notes attached in your computer system tracking why they 'stopped' at any particular point in the process.

Susan

I agree that tracking these students is extremely important. We also require our Admissions staff to participate with this challenge. All late students are required to start with an admissions officier who then will walk the student throught the paperwork process. After that is complete they are then turned over to academics where we began our orientation process.

I agree 100% percent about constant tracking of the student before they start school and while they are students. The managers should be making sure thsat this is all being taken care of.

Be sure there is a hand off point from each department. After entry into our online courses our student services department reviews all courses and students in the list to make sure all matches. The registrar also emails student services and faculty any late enrollments so that both student services and faculty can engage a late enroll student and also give them the same attention and information as other students.

For our school, the students are put on hold until they are properly oriented to their program. All students must attend orientation before entry. For late enrollments, the Admissions Representative has more responsibility in setting up the orientation and appointments with the different staff members/departments.
Otherwise, the student would wait for the next enrollment period since we have rolling starts.

keeping open lines of communication with the student at all times and with thorough follow through.

they wont but once they get in your class you as a teacher can do all you can to help them

I want to know how late in a program can a student enroll? I ask because both the student and Instructor are now under pressure to play "catch up". This can be very overwhelming to the student and Instructor. The student has to get all lecture notes, quiz, exams as soon as possible or they can get left behind.

Stephanie,

Typically it is only during the drop and add period. However, that still can put a significant 'crunch' on both parties as you point out.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment