Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Faculty at Orientation

We currently involve Program Directors for each of our programs of study. We do not involve faculty beyond that, though our Program Directors are indeed instructors. Does anyone have input regarding their faculty's role in orientation?

Thank you,
Christine Miller

Dear Christine:

Occasionally our faculty members attend the orientation and tell the new students something about the courses they are teaching. Maybe you can recommend to your Director of Education that it would be a good idea to invite some of the instructors to the orientation. New students come up to me many time and introduce themselves and ask me what course I teach. This scenario could be a good reason to have instructors attends the orientation.

Good luck!

Joanne

We do not involve our instructors in the orientation/registration process, however, the first course students are enrolled in is the introductory course.

Instructors play an integral part in the students orientation to the college and field in that manner.

All--

The role of faculty in orientation and retention cannot be underestimated. They are your 'front line' when it comes to retention and the value proposition. I highly recommend formally including faculty in orientation design. It will make a huge difference!

Susan

Has anyone made attending Orientation a portion of their faculty Job Description?

At our next orientation we are going to start getting faculty involved. Other than basic greetings I don't understand what else the instructor should do. Maybe a class preview?

Kane--

This module is meant to provide some ideas for information that faculty could cover during the orientation. It is my experience that having new students meet with faculty...ideally in their classroom...is highly effective if done correctly.

They should cover things like their background (professional and educational); why they enjoy teaching; classroom expectations (attendance, attire if appropriate, assignments, etc.) The ideal outcome is to have the students get to know their faculty and be prepared for the classroom experience.

This is also an excellent forum for the faculty to facilitate bonding between the students. Students play an important role as well in keeping each other in school.

Hope that helps to give you a brief overview. Perhaps as you review the other entries you will gain additional ideas.

Also, in addition to those suggestions, I think that program direcotrs might present something interesting about one or two faculty members. Or the instructor could give out the information herself. For example, one of my math instructors taught in Saudi Arabia for over ten years. As the module mentioned, allowing students to learn something personal about the instructor often motivates them to look to them for support. I've also found that the sooner we humanize ourselves to students, the more likely they are to partcipate in class, which is always a plus!

I feel that having a plan set up with orientation that by the end iof the orientation, students can hear form all program directors. This has manty functions. We are a micro culture and hearing what others programs are offered and how they have an intervoven affect can make a big difference in how the students feel about other career based programs on campus. We are teaching student to be informed and involved about other students career choices and getting information out will help student form relationships that will last long after school. At the end of the orientation the program director will take their own group of students and show them more about the program they will be in. This is the time to cover program specific issues and gives the opportunity to introduce instructors, book, and resources. this is a good way for the student to internalize what they are planning to do for the weekend, and when school starts the next week, they don't feel as stressed.

Wonderful! Many times students are unsure about their major, so hearing about all of your offerings provides them with a better understanding.

Having the faculty then go in to depth about that particular program and expectations is key. It makes students feel significantly more comfortable when they arrive the first day.

Congrats!

Susan

One of our departments makes a point of having faculty present for orientation. The teachers one-by-one introduce themselves, and talk about why they like teaching. They also assure the students that they are eager to provide one-on-one help when needed.

The teachers' warmth and sincerity make a strong, supportive, and favorable impression on the students. After hearing from the teachers, I believe that their fear of returning for classes fades away.

Absolutely! As discussed, one of the student's biggest fears is that of academic failure. Knowing who the instructors are and that they are eager to help them succeed makes a huge difference.

Susan

An instructor can be part of the orientation process, informing new students about all the educational programs, what they will be learning,it is of a great inspiration and motivation for them.

The first half of our academic program is devoted to theory and basic studies. The rest of the program is devoted to elective studies. When the students start their first elective class the education manager for that elective gives a presentation which includes a rundown of where the industry stands, special and additional programs that are available, how students can get support from his department, and a little "pep talk" on how well they have done to get this far. I believe the students are impressed when a faculty member at that level comes to the classroom to talk to them.

Our campus has entertained the idea of having potential employers at our orientations. Gives the students something to shoot for after graduation instead of just another certificate.

Stephen--

From a retention standpoint, this is an excellent idea. From an employer standpoint...what do you see as an advantage for them to attend?

If they are alumni of your institution and/or you combined it with a job fair of sorts for students getting ready to graduate, this could be a win-win for all!

Susan

Yes, I have taught at our school for one and a half years and we have 8 starts per year So far I have missed only two. I teach the intro class and having them see me is great help for them. Knowing where the class meets, who the instructor is and what to expect on the first day is all so helpfull for them. Plus it also helps me to start to know there names, giving them the idea that I care about them knowing thier name before class already starts.

At our orientations, the Program Directors are there, but we have removed the introduction of the faculty in order to save time. So, what I have done is asked the instructors to come and do the demos for the orientation so the students could at least interact with one or two of the faculty. i also have asked faculty to actually present topics at the orientation. this has proven very helpful for the studnts to understand what they are in for.

Sign In to comment