Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation Program Length

How long do orientations like these (breaking into departmental meetings, meeting faculty and other students, getting registered for class, etc., and then reconvening in the large group) take?

We spend three hours for the actual orientation. However, as a staff we plan on being in the building for five hours to accommodate all the students.

We trim time at DADC by having an Information Fair style of Orientation process.

We schedule and orientation period for each class section (Morning, Afternoon, and Evening). During each session students process through a fair of departments (signing a record sheet as they go to make sure they don't miss anything) filling out the necessary paperwork for each.

The parents are provided seating and refreshments during this period. Admissions reps. and instructors are ushers and mingle through during each session.

Each session is approximately 1.5 hours long.

Our orientation program does include faculty at this point and it usually takes about two hours. However, after this participating in this course, it is obvious to me that we need to increase our program by at least another 45 minutes.

Each of our arientation steps last aproximately 1.5 hours. We limit and spread out the information so each step last approximately 10 minutes. You need to remind people at each step what there pourpose and topic is and make sure they do that and do not go over, for that will get the entire thing out of sync.

All--

These are all excellent models. Laura, as you can see the length varies--most of which depends on the model you want to adopt. I especially like the fact that some of you are accounting for the 'buying committee' orientation which is extremely important. They can really help with retention efforts if we get them on board, too!

Susan

We hold three sessions that each last about 2hours.

Could you explain this in more detail?

All--

Does anyone have some practical advice for Kathleen? She's looking for some timing assistance.

My 2 cents--you need to make it adequate to accomplish your goals, but not too long. Some of the time issues are as much related to the 'value' students get from attending as the actual duration. Good feedback from students regarding your orientation can help you refine particular aspects.

Susan

Our orientation program takes roughly 4 hours. The last 30-40 minutes are devoted to the students meeting with their departmental advisor. At this time the advisor can answer any specific questions the students may have. The students also receive their class schedule and are allowed to make any necessary changes. With their class schedules they also get the textbooks for their classes.

James--

Four hours is quite an orientation! I think you previously mentioned having them move around campus, which is always a good idea. Having them leave with the textbooks and schedule is great...helps to eliminate some of the fear about the first day of classes.

Are your advisors faculty or staff members? If staff, do they get to meet with their program coordinator during orientation?

Susan

The advisors are faculty members. They are the students' academic advisors. Our program directors and academic advisors are one and the same person. For communication purposes they are referred to as academic advisors to the students and as program directors to the departmental faculty.

Excellent model. Faculty are critical and if you can get them in an 'advising' mode as well, all the better for student retention purposes.

Susan

When involving the parents in the orientation session do u think the students are more reseved because the parents are there or are they more involved

Marie--

Yes, I think that is probably really an issue. That is why it's not unusual to do part of the orientation together and then seperate the students from the parents. Parents should have a different orientation anyway. They are the retention helpers. They need to know that their child is likely to call and tell them they want to drop out about week two or three. The best thing parents can do is listen and then tell them to stick out the session. Typically, by the time the first term is over they are acclimated and things are fine.

Susan

I love the idea of breaking the orientation into three shifts. We currently do a single for orientation, and there are always some students are unable to attend. Plus the student would have a more intimate environment and get the chance to relate to students in their own shift.

We had orientation Saturday and had over 70 students and 40 guests. Orienation started at 10:00 and was done by 12:30. Students started arriving at 9:00 (especially those who knew they needed to get stuff done with financial aid or the registrar).

Our orientation session is about two hours long. We do give students the opportunity to meet program director's but not other faculty. We will now begin insisting that they meet all faculty and other personnel within the College as well. We will also provide orientations of the various campus activities. It's also a great idea to break the programs down for further insight.

The general orientation which covers student services like academic advising, financial aid, career services and the library is about 9:15 am till 10:30 am (75 minutes) and then the break out session where students get to talk with the faculty in their major subject areas is about 30 to 60 minutes depending upon each academic department’s discretion. I think this is a good amount of time. We talked about having longer orientations, but we didn’t want the students to get tired. We try to give them a brief overview and make sure they know what departments to contact if they have any challenges.

Salena--

This sounds like an excellent format. I especially like the opportunity students have to interact with factuly.

You are correct that you don't want to make to too long. It is a balancing act to have enough time to give them all the important information but short enough to keep their attention. The fact that you have the interaction with the faculty as the 'wrap up' portion is great--they leave excited about starting classes and much more comfortable with the academic portion.

Susan

Sign In to comment