Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

On-going efforts

I think we do an excellent job on building commitment in the first week, even the first class or two. However, after the initial quarter, we start focusing on the next learning community of students in their first quarter. What kinds of activities have you put in place to make sure you don't lose touch with your contuing students? It seems like we treat new students special but then forget about them once they make it through the first quarter. Our retention is actually worse in their first program-specific course (third term) then it is in our first quarter classes.

Faith--

I can't agree with you more! For whatever reason we (the schools) are very attentive early in the process. The longer students are with us, the less attention we give them (as a rule, not always).

Unfortunately for us, our competitors are treating them like new students!

There are some excellent strategies in the original forum question that you may want to adopt. If you haven't read through that section I would highly encourage you to do so.

Susan

We have a mentoring program that allows students to build relationships that will last until they graduate. Also having special events. Today we held appreciation day and the Campus Director grilled hotdogs for everyone and we had a radio remote and some giveaways. We also have developed a keep in touch program for our returning students that involves mailings and activities.

Hello, I would suggest reaching out to the older students and suggest they become mentors for your new students.
c.

Hello, I would suggest reaching out to the older students and suggest they become mentors for your new students.
c.

What about doing something during the first two weeks of their 3rd term designed specifically to connect them with employers in their field? Would having employers from their fields come in as guest speakers to address them at that critical point to remind them of why they are there and get them excited about their first progam specific class help?

Beth--

This is an excellent idea! That is about the 'low' point of the term when students begin to feel the pressure. Re-energizing them to focus on their desired career outcome is just the ticket. We are all more willing to endure if we can see the desired result.

Susan

Faith

We have a 1st and 2nd quarter mixer during the second week of school. We (Student Services) works with the 2nd quarter students to provide them with an idea of what to do to initiate dialog.
The social usually has FREE pizza to ensure we get a good response. We usually have 100% attendance every time.
Also, we have a very active student government. They bring in two speakers a quarter and they usually provide some kind of free food. Anything from smoothies to frozen yogurt to pizza. Work with your Development office in order to solicit food donations for these events.
Also, one of us from Student Services is always in attendance at our student government meetings to both provide support and to encourage them to conduct student activities on campus.
Students need to interact with each other. It's their best support network.

Melissa--

You are so right! Student-to-student interaction can be highly effective in many ways. Your student government sounds like a very active and positive force in your recruiting and retention efforts. Do you have other student groups as well?

I agree. Food will always bring them in! We also take timing into consideration. We usually try to schedule our big social events close to orientation dates. That way, new students get a chance to socialize, mingle, and get to know many of our current students early on.

We have about 20 active clubs and organizations on campus and 13 classes who have their own class officers.
A lot of the clubs hold fundraisers including social events and speaker nights which helps the student body to interact with one another.
I was able to encourage my staff to be more involved with helping students set up their events and also to provide some guidance. I used this as a way to start interacting with the student body. Although it is not typical of my position, I believe I can do a better job by knowing the students and what they want. For me, communication works better than surveys.

As students develop a sense of community be it peer to peer, student to mentor or student to educator, retention goes up (and stays up for more advanced students). Regardless whether that community is sdpacked by clubs, events, or student unions.

this can work but choose your student roll models carefully as this can backfire as some of the older students have as bad if not worse attitudes than some of the younger ones.

Ty-

You are absolutely correct...choosing the right students is critical. You sound like you are speaking from the voice of experience. Do you have any insight in to how to determine students who would do well at this role?

Susan

I don't refocus on the group until they're in my course. The group I have has my attention from day-one until they leave the course. Then it starts over for the new group.

Trevor--

It is wonderful you focus so on your current students and I'm sure great bonds are formed. Do any of your former students drop by?

Susan

We have numerous strategies/interventions at our disposal to get students who are headed in the wrong direction turned around. However, none of them work if, as an instructor, I am not sensitive to, or aware of, what is going on with the student. I get so busy in the lab portion of our program, especially as the class draws to a close; but I always try to fully engage the student, not multi-task, when I am with them. I look them in the eye, actively listen to what they're saying and how they're saying it and if something is going wrong, I can usually pick-up on it and then determine what method of intervention would be appropriate.

Great for future "job" positions/responsibilities. I even give students, "titles" within the lab- according to their participation and drive. Clinical coordinators, Lab techs, Office managers, etc.
A sense of ownership is established within the team as well as within the actual clinic.

Christine,

What a great idea! It also then gives them some additional responsibilities which is another great learning tool.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment