Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation

Does anyone do an orientation like the one discussed in this module? If so, how does it work? I would be interested, especially, in an incremental approach, having students move from department to department, and interaction with current students.

Laura how we do ours is have "stations" set up around the building. We have 7 steps the students must go to, each station is a step. The Admissions teams or current students act as tour guides bringing the groups from step to step. At each step they meet new people from the school as we are building credibility to the school. They are not only meeting new people bu as well hearing our policies and procedures. We as well have steps that help them envision themselves as graduates and the end goal.

Are you holding orientation during the school day? Our building is small. I love the "stations" ideas but we are limited on space. I'm wondering if anyone has held their orientation on a Saturday.

John and Kathleen--

The station scenario is a good one as it helps students get familiar with the facility and also meet more people. It sounds as if John has an excellent model in place.

Kathleen--Regarding Saturdays, they CAN be good times for orientations. Are you suggesting this because you don't hold classes on Saturday and your building would be less congested?

Susan

Yes. But I'm afraid we would not have a good turn out if we held orientation on a Saturday.

It is usually best to hold orientations during times students would generally attend class. That also allows you to do a 'reality check' to identify barriers such as child care, transportation, etc. Plus, they get to see the school when there is some activity...a helpful plus.

Saturdays, however, could be a good alternative. You would probably have more parking available and staff would have more time to devote only to new students. It may be worth a try.

Susan

As an alternative to the Saturday session, we generally hold orientation (or, "graduation preview, as we know call it)on the the Thursday before the classes begin. We hold both a day and evening session. For each of the sessions (they are identical) students move from room to room and building to building. In the process, they get, as Susan mentioned, a good overview of the campus, the student ambassadors, and various faculty and staff members. When they come to me (I'm the director of the general ed. and prep studies dept.), I discuss study skills, learning styles, and real expectations, including how to handle the "rocks in the road" that they may face such as the aforementioned child care, transportation, and work conflicts.

Our mini-term session graduation preview does take place during the first day of their quarter. Maybe it's coincidental (I'm in the process of trying to find out), but our retention rate is stronger for the mini-term students in the gen. ed. and prep. classes.

Richard--

AWESOME! Sounds like you have a great process for new students. Your 'rocks in the road' is a great description as well...much better than 'barriers' which sound as if they are unable to overcome them.

I'm very interested in finding out more about your mini-term graduation preview. Is this a celebration of making half-way? What do you do? Is it for first-quarater students only?

Susan

It's great to break out into other rooms with your students and have everyone introduce themselves as well as their prior experience (if any) and have them discuss what their future goals are.

Sign In to comment