Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Follow up

We don't currently do follow up with our students after they graduate. What is the best way to begin doing this with students? Just creating surveys? What if we want to contact older students, is that appropriate if they have not been contacted in a long time?

Resume programs

I know there are alot of programs for writing resumes these days. Is there a way to offer one exclusively for your school to current students?

Office Facility

If we are a school that caters to students across the nation, is it really necessary to meet with the students in person to help them with their skills?

Getting started

I am currently going to be the only person in this department to start out. Are there some job roles that are better to prioritize than others?

I'm new at this job--any suggestions?

I have just taken over ast the Career Services Coordinator at a Business School, and I am more than willing to take any advice/suggestions anyone has for me. I have worked with job placement on a much smaller scale in previous positions, but this is brand new. What helps? What should I avoid? What's the most important thing to remember as I start new?

Students without a license

We currently have several graduates that do not have driver's licenses or have any intention of getting them soon. It is not that these students have suspended licenses and will be getting them back, they do not have one at all. We live in a very rural area without public transportation and many of our gradautes travel outside of the immeadiate area for employment. What are some suggestions to help us motivate these students to open up their employment options by getting their driver's licenses?

Convincing students to release work information upon being hired

Sometimes our students/grads don't want to release their work information after securing a position in the field of their training. The reason they offer is that they found that particular job on their own. They seem to forget about the help they received with building a resume, cover letter, interview techniques, and so on. Any suggestions on how to hadle such cases? Thank you. Irina Alexandru

Email Newsletters

There are many good comments in this forum on using email newsletters to stay in touch (with graduates). We were considering a single newsletter for students, graduates and employers (not sure we have the resources to do three letters a month). Any thoughts on if this would be too broad of an audience for one newsletter? Susan's suggestion of creating sections to include in every newsletter is helpful. Examples suggested were: "Message from the Director, Meet our Recent Grads, Tests Scheduled this Month, Study Tips, Employers Interviewing at our Campus, etc.” Are there any other thoughts on sections for graduates… >>>

Is a job bank on a school website an effective placement tool?

We have a job module available on our website where jobs can be posted, resumes posted, job hunting tips discussed, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on how effective school websites can be as a placement service? Thank you!

Encouraging Externship Participation

Our school offers a dental assistant program on Saturdays. We also offer voluntary externships that provide good experience helpful in student placement after graduation. However, some students work during the week and can not afford to take time off to participate in the externships offered during the week. Are there any suggestions on how to encourage these working students to participate in externships? For example, does anyone offer paid externships so working students will not be financially impacted by missing work? Any thoughts will be appreciated?

Getting seasoned or maturer students to buy in placement activities.

It has been a challenge to motivate maturer/seasoned students to participate in placement activities because they have the "been there and done that" attidude. It's important for us to have all students participate equally so that no one develops bad habits. Any ideas on how we can get them working with us and with the class.

Getting your Resume Noticed

In my past work experiences, one of the things that I noticed is the amount of resumes received for each postion. I would like to see this training include some ideas of how you can bring your resume to the top of the pile for review. One example: I received a resume inside a shoe with a note stating "Now that I got my foot in the door" may I request a few moments of your time. Now, as a past HR professionl I felt that was extremely creative, and it worked. He got the interview.

Small office and limited staff

If you had to prioritize placement functions and only offer a few of the most important what would you choose, for your students? for your school?

Long-term relationships with graduates

Our school offers a short-term program for which we provide placement services. Often students in this short-term program opt to seek employment without assistance and we have difficulty contacting them for follow-up. Do any other schools deal with this situation? How do you cultivate a long-term relationship with these students?

How Much Is Enough?

I try to go the extra mile and help students. I have free computers with Internet access and half a dozen resume templates. Links to multiple job boards. As well I subscribe to job post that are updated daily and then maintain contact with employers and potential employers. I role-play with students before they go on interviews and cover etiquette and dress code. I make sure the students Google earth and map quest addresses. I hold a monthly career services workshop and Q & A that are open to anyone. Is there anything else I should be doing that can… >>>

I have resume Samples and templates what else do you suggest

I have resume writing software for students and templates of cover letters. Should I have anything else as a resource? James

What should be in a library?

I have computers right now and links to diffrent job boards ad resume examples as well. But should I have books or other things? James

Celebrity And Professional Guest Speakers

I want to know the feedback on booking Professional and Celebrity guest speakers. No only for a promotional tool but for motivation and successstories. Does it have to be a past alumni or can it be someone outside the school? What resources are available to book a professional on to come in and speak? James

How much should a placement department do?

How far should a placement department go in placing their students? I see some departments say that they give them all fo the tools (resume seminars, job search websites, networking resumes, mock interviews, etc) and say they do everything EXCEPT get them the job. Other departments, like the one at my school, offers job leads. Which is best? I do find that sometimes the students get a little lazy and learn to depend on and expect job leads from my placement department. When they do not get the amount of leads they want, they become upset. I feel that they… >>>

Keeping in touch

It's so hard to keep up with students once they graduate, especially those who live out of state. Any ideas on how to rope them in?
Related Learning Opportunities