Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Contacting Employers - there's so many of them!!

I recently came into the position of Placement Director of a medium-sized trade school. Prior to my arrival, the Placement Dept. was not kept up with very well. Now there are 10 years worth of alumni, many with employment history, many without employment history, many without employment history tracked in our database, etc. It seems like too large of a task to try and contact EVERY employer of graduates, especially if I don't even know that they are current positions. I have been sending out surveys to graduates to try to update as much info as possible, and of the… >>>

in-house career fair

I plan on having an in-house career fair at our school to host interviews for upcoming grads, graduates and alumni. Do you have any ideas or thoughts that can maximize success for all involved?

What other career services are available for disabled individuals?

Does any one have any knowledge of non-profit organizations whose primary objective is to assist disabled individuals find and secure career placement?

Students that are "unplaceable".

What measures can we take to employ students with a more than favorable background?

Persuading Employers to Hire Entry Level Candidates

Hello- One of my challenges is that 90% of the students which I need to place have NO on-the-job training or work experience. They are green with only educational training and experience through school. Naturally, there are job orders which demand experience. However, many of the job orders I secure are "Borderline" as far as required "work experience". Any suggestions on how Placement can persuade an employer to invest in training candidates without experience if they are not budgeted for this or have been burned previously? Thanks for the input! Michele

Objectives

The problem that most of my students are having is putting together a resume with a unique objective. The suggestion I make is to scope out the company and find what it is that they are looking for in an employee, cross reference it to their list that they made about themselves and see if there are any similarities. If so, incorporate those qualities in their objective. I have my students make a general resume most times unless there is a specific place they want employment. I have a page or two on creative words/skills that the students can pick… >>>

Student Relationships and “The Right Candidate"

We have a few representatives coming to our school to host interviews for upcoming grads, graduates and alumni. I am nervous as to how this will pan out because I haven't had the opportunity to meet with each individual. (I am new to the Career along with the students) As with any job posting/opportunity you want to make sure your sending them who they are looking for and not just another one in the bunch. You want the employers to want to come back to you in the future. I do different workshops to get to know the students. I… >>>

Building student confidence

Our entire school system has taken on the task of building student self-confidence and self-worth through a series of workshops. In addition to the direct benefit, there is the added benefit of the inclusion of otherwise missed skills and accomplishments in student resumes. Workshop attendees don't need the level of "extraction" by CS staff to find marketable skills and accomplishments. We find this a definite plus.

Taking Over

I recently took a position as a Career Service Coordinator at the company that I have been with for two years. I was hoping to get a chance to sit down with the previous Coordinator but that didn't happen. So needless to say, I am starting form scratch. The problem that I am running into at the moment is that I have unhappy graduates that don't return my phone calls or divulge information on their current work experience. This in turn, leaves me with not so good numbers. We all know what happens if the numbers aren't so good. How… >>>

Online exit interviews

Has anyone had greater success with online exit interviews than paper/pencil? I find that many adult learners are somewhat intimidated by technology and still prefer paper and pencil.

Preparing students for interviews

What is the best way to help students learn interview skills? Does anyone use role play and if so, are the students receptive to it?

Best websites to start

Since I am new to placement and there are probably thousands of job websites, does anyone know which are the best ones to use for start up success?

Realistic start up budget

My school is a small non-profit. We do not currently have placement services as we are a commuter school for working adults over 21 years who are all(90%) already employed. In starting a placement service with limited funds, can you give me an approximation as to how much I should pursue with management to begin? Or is there material I could read to give me different scenarios?

Realistic Caseload

Hi Everyone, This is one of those topics we just can't get everyone to agree on; what is a realistic caseload for a placement coordinator to carry in order to meet the placement goal/student expectations, cover all administrative duties (paperwork, documentation, etc) and still have plenty of time for community involvement? I would love feedback from anyone, but mainly from ACCET accredited schools that carry externship programs what the annual active and/or grad caseload is that each coordinator is required to carry.

Grads without HS Diploma/GED

Any suggestions on how to better place students who have not graduated from high school?

Placement Services for Alumni

I read an article today in the Orlando Sentinel about how some colleges and universotoes are beginning to offer more career services for alumni. Does anyone here have a campus like that, and if so, what type of services are you providing above and beyond what is offered to current students?

Career Services Resources

I am currently looking to update and enhance career services related materials in our student resource center. Can anyone recommend any book titles or other materials that may assist our students?

Professional Associations

Having students join professional associations while in school seems like a great idea. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas they implemented at their schools to encourage and increase the amount of students who do join professional associations? Danny Fritz Remington College Heathrow, FL

Approaching Local Employers with Admissions in Mind

In the past, we have had local employers send staff for career specific training but I havent been very successful in consistently making it happen. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What do you do when your graduate is still not catching on at work and he/she goes through 3 employers?

Hi all At times their might be one in the graduating group that is still learning or performing somewhat slow on the job and cant seem to keep the job.....what do you do?
Related Learning Opportunities