Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Resume Seminars

During our resume seminar we always stress how important it is for your resume to be unique as it is a repesentation of the person and each person is unique. However, when it comes exit interview time, lo and behold everyone's resumes look the same. Any ideas on how to guide each person on creating a unique resume for themselves?

Internships are a necessary evil

For the entertainment industry, internships are a must. Does anyone have suggestions for how we 1)convince our graduates that internships are a necessary evil for this industry and 2)keep employers from exploiting our graduates.

Exit Interviews

I start setting appointments with students when they have one more month to go. In that session I ask them to complete a "graduate information" form with their current contact information, current employment status and information if applicable, a list of their ideal jobs, etc. It gives admin a definite update on student contact info and it gives placement another chance to see what the student's goals are.

Students who do not want to find a job

Ok, so what do you do with the few students who, no matter what you do to help them, decide that they just are "not interested in working, but thank you for all the training"? Believe it or not, we have some students like that!

I keep my door open

When our admissions department takes a new student to tour the campus I'm the first stop. I stand up, greet and welcome the student. Invite the students in my office and tell them that I am here for them. They are told they are welcome to my office at any time. I spend time with them. I help them get part time jobs while they are in school. Alot of them need that help. I'm open for any ideas. Richard

Admissions and Placement Services

How do you recommend Placement Services partner with Admissions to form an effective bond with the student and instill excitement in them from the very beginning about the whole job placement process?

Portfolios for Interviews

We have incorporated student portfolios into our professional development courses. We have completed some research on students who carry portfolios (to showcase their work)vs students who go into an interview empty handed and have found the student that has come prepared with portfolios have had a greater success rate. We have also found that it will also assist the students in remembering the actual skills that have acquired during their time at school. Has anyone else had success with portfolios or feedback?

Placement Dept.

I am the Director of the Career Services Dept. Our department covers externship, placement and student services. I have a placement assistant and as soon as we grow a little more I will have an externship assistant. We have seminars once a month for the students who are getting ready to graduate or go to externship. We have a Career Services class in every program that we assist with. This includes resume writing, dressing for success and interview information. We make visits in the community to market our students and attend many job fairs. We still see some apathy on… >>>

Motivating the student

We have found that the students have become complacent and would like for us (the Placement Dept.) to do all the work in find the student their job. They almost act like we should just hand it to them as they complete their course. Of course we want them to be working, and if we have any leads that we are aware of we give them to the students or fax their resume for them. How do you motivate the student to look for the jobs as well as accept our assistance?

Student awareness of the Placement Department

If the Placement Department is explained during admissions appointments is it necessary to have the placement department do a presentation during orientation.

Student Tracking

Hi Susan, We are in the process of implimenting a student questionair that will be distributed in each module. Also we are hosting an Alumni Luncheon/ Mini Job Fair twice a year. We invite students that are part of our cohort to students who are in their final module of training.

Grads with Records

We have a lot of graduates that have had a run in (or two) with the law. What are some ways to help these grads gain employment?

Tracking Down MIA Grads

Does anyone know of a good way to track down grads that are missing in action? We have exhausted the usual such as phoneathons, mail, certified mail, calling on weekends, skip tracing...

In School Placement

We offer placement for students that are in school and need help with their financial responsibilities. We require that the jobs are not related to their training to avoid losing the student. This service can be very cumbersome. Does anyone have a good system that is efficient and does not take time away from graduate placement?

Resume Building

Hi Susan, We do resume building with our student in a class forum. They are instrucetd on how to prepare a Profile or an objective (which ever they choose). They are also instructed on the description of their program and compiling information to include. The problem we have run into is our PAC members advised us that our students resume's are too uniform and that they can be picked out just by the format. (Is this a bad thing?) Our students are instructed that they can use diffrent headings (ie: Profile/ Objective, Education/ Training) and that they can change fonts… >>>

Resume Building

Placement Office Utilization

What specific methods work to encourage student participation with the placement office on a one to one basis after graduation?

Collaborating with employers to create placement.

Hi Susan, We have been exploring how we can create win/win economic relationships with employers, to facilitate placement. Strategies we have used are educating employers about State/Federal job training initiatives and funding streams to pay for pre-employment costs, and tailoring curricula to job descriptions. Do you have other suggestions? Thanks! Karl

Placement/Student Services Dept.

Hi Susan, Some career schools we have spoken with have placement modules as a distinct curriculum component. We would need to extend our programs to include additional placement related instruction, unless we added it as an optional class. Yet, I wonder if the students who most need this placement related training will indeed take an additional class if it isn't required. Thanks, Karl

Grads

We contact our grads with a newsletter format monthly (this seems to work best) we have found that by asking our grads to participate in submitting articles for the newsletter (whether it is work related or product related) it keeps the grads keep coming back. We also have an incentive referral program for grads. We encourage our grads to participate as a teacher's aid, which in some ways gives them a job right out of school and keeps them attached to the college. Student surveys can be a bit tricky to get participation, so once again we offer bookstore incentives… >>>

Related Learning Opportunities