Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Surveys

How do you construct/compile an effective survey? How often should the questions be modified?

Resume' building

How does an applicant/student/graduate correctly represent holding two jobs at once? This often times can be distracting to employers but it is necessary to include all employment.

Job Fair Success

I have not had success in coordinating and using job fairs. Please provide suggestions on how to get employers to participate.

Interviewing skill improvement and understanding

How can I get students/graduates to understand the importance of proper interviewing techniques, enthusiasm, and participation? Whether it is generational or simply a lack of caring the result is that great jobs are being lost by my students because of their lack of adhering to the best-practices of interviewing.

Graduate Board

I am trying to start some kind of a board...Graduates in the Profession Board, Externship/Internship Board...etc. I am planning on visiting the sites and employers to take pictures, have a question/answer session for testimonies and then putting these on a board. Anyone have ideas on this board should be created like on a map and such?

The Employer "Short" List

What are the most effective ways to build a list of employers who are likely to hire your graduates?

Bringing Placement Services to the Classroom

As a career services representative, what job search projects and/or activities can you create that instructors could integrate into their instructional delivery?

When Do Placement Services Start?

Placement services are more effective when offered to a student toward the beginning of his/her program as opposed to near the end of coursework. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

The Impact of Placement Services

How does the Placement Department specifically and positively impact other departments in your school? What are ways that Placement Services can impact enrollments?

No Space To Consult

I just began working for a company and the placement program is very new here. The space is very small and there is really no where to conduct one on one consultions are the empty classrooms adequet.

Help with contacting employers

Like many, I'm new to Job Placement. What is the best way to contact employers, just basic cold calling? What if many are not hiring? Any tips?

Working with faculty to overcome negative judgements of students

I have had "advice sessions" with faculty who want to share with me their judgement calls on "unplaceable grads" - what can I do to help others keep a positive attitude concerning all students?

Networking homework for students

I give out a homework assignment; find 4 people who you can network with or 4 individuals in an office, firm, hospital etc who you can make contact with for future help in job search. Has any one else done anything similar?

Getting the student to use their resources.

I am having a problem getting the students at my school to use the career development services that are here for them to use. I call them, e-mail them and I'll be lucky if out of 20 students, 5 call me back. Any ideas?

Placement professionals could use training before taking on the job.

I've found that most of my colleagues in Career Services come from areas unrelated to placement, i.e. Recruiting or Outplacement firms. Wouldn't it make sense that Career Service professionals have some training before they assume their role of recruiting employers to submit jobs and helping students master the art of job search?

Staying in touch

Following up with a student is great method to keep records of the student. ALso, perhaps you can gain some information in the job and use it for our future students trying to get a job. If they hire someone who worked out for them from our school then they will again. Good reviews are a good method. Surveys, feedback from employers are all great standards.

IS HOBBIES APART OF A RESUME??

I don't know about others, but to me having a "hobbie" entry doesn't look professional, what do you think?

GUEST SPEAKERS

Are they really important for a College. What kind of speaker do you encourage to have at a college when their are so many different Majors?

OTHER RESOURCES IN CAREER DEVELOPMENT(test your knowledge)

As a Career Developer, I like to implement new strategies for my students. I like them to feel secured and confident when they go out there to fetch a job. I like to give assessment test for their own personal use. Sometimes, they are unsure of where they want to work. I think giving these types of test motivates them and gives a more confident feeling in striking that job they want. Once they learn about themselves, then they know where to apply and gain experience and hopefully grow with the company as an entry-level candidate. If not, then they… >>>

Forms or Techniques needed for Data Collection

Are there any websites, or do you have any forms and/or templates that work well for tracking all of the students information and progress regarding placement? We are a small school and have very few students that are not corporately sponsored that request placement, but I have found the tracking aspect of their progress very difficult. Any help with creating a tracking process/form would be greatly appreciated.
Related Learning Opportunities