Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Resume' building

How does an applicant/student/graduate correctly represent holding two jobs at once? This often times can be distracting to employers but it is necessary to include all employment.

Interesting situation when someone holds two jobs at the same time. Yet not uncommon. We suggest that it be made very clear in the resume so there are no questions in the minds of the interviewers. It can be a note at the beginning or a note within the job title. Something like - during the period of xx to the present I hold two jobs. The first job I work at during the morning and the second is an evening job. Thanks, Susan

I think we will be seeing more and more of this with the economy the way it is now. some of our students are even trying to hold three jobs. I would hope employers would understand and even be impressed that the person was trying so hard.

Hi Sheila, Interesting situation when a student holds 3 jobs. How is that working out for the student. Perhaps the student can be counseled to look for one good job or two part time. Somethings don't impress employers and we feel a person with 3 jobs could probably demonstrate a bit more efficiency and still meet his/her goals. It is up to us to counsel students or at least ask them good questions to get them thinking. Thanks, Susan

They can explain, once they get their career they will be leaving the 2nd one or the part-time one.

Hi Stacy

Building a resume takes time. Especially for students who don't have a lot of work experience or any experience relevant to the new workplace. Sometimes we have to encourage them to think about the skills and aptitudes they have that relate to who they are and not what they have done. Are they good organizers? Good with people? Good at a certain skill? This kind of exercise helps them develop talking points during an interview as well. Once on the job grads should be encouraged to write down all the skills they are learning and get proficient at. That will help build their resumes. best wishes, Susan

Always be honest and clear on Reumes'. Simply state some where that you held two jobs and clearly put the times or dates. Nothing to be ashamed of. That just shows you can juggle many things at once.

Hi Nikeline, Writing an effective and clear and accurate resume is always a challenge. Clarity is essential. Often it is hard for a prospective employer to understand that a candidate is holding 2 jobs at the same time. It therefore has to be clearly stated. If a candidate had short stints on a job it is important to explain why. Resumes are always a challenge and every student needs assistance. Thanks, Susan

Our placement department has recently started working with an employment agency to help us curve our students resumes to be more noticable and stand out. The agency we are working with has said that one page resumes are a thing of the past and that employers want to see ALL of your skills and experience. Is this accurate? I think personally if I were going to hire someone I would want to see ALL of their skills even if it made it more than one page. I just want to be reassured that two page resumes are not a turn-off and that it will help the graduate. Any thoughts?? - Joanna

Good question, Joanna. There will always be new theories and opinions about resumes. The answer to how long a resume should be is probably - it depends.

If you know a company wants complete resumes then guide your students to include everything. If the company only wants relevant experience, then keep it short. That all points to the importance of keeping in touch with the hiring people in your community so you know what they want.

When we look at resumes we only want to know what a person has been doing for the past 10 years. And sometimes that is too much. Is their experience relevant and are they job hoppers? All important. Typically entry level workers have very little experience. Or if a mature adult, some of their experience might be grouped by type of work.

Never a black and white answer to the resume question. Thanks, Susan

The best approach towards representing 2 jobs is to be honest about the dates of employment by showing both jobs are being worked simultaneously. When asked about the experience, the candidate should be prepared to explain in detail.

Hello
Working two jobs at the same is getting more common these days. We don't think it should be complicated to explain. The resume should indicate which is part time. Or perhaps both are. For clarity we think that the time frames for each job should be indicated. Also the specific duties and if one is the main career job and the other to earn additional money. Thanks for your comments. Susan

Optimal Resume is an outstanding resource for Career Service to use when helping students and grads develope their resume. We start our student in their first 2 weeks of school developing a simple basic resume to build on with each class they complete.

Sounds like a great plan,John. We hope that you include other employment skills training like interviewing, follow up, how to negotiate the best salary, and more. Takes a lot of work to get a student ready for the first job interview. We feel that career services training is as important as the program coursework. Students learn not only skills but self confidence. Very important and takes a lot of coaching. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities