Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Employer "Short" List

What are the most effective ways to build a list of employers who are likely to hire your graduates?

We currently have a website in place that has listings of professional opportunities specific to our specialty. The information is obtained from alumni and professionals familiar with our college. An alumni newsletter is sent out twice each month to keep our name in front of them and always includes a link to our website. Anyone can visit the website and submit Professional Opportunities. Employers realize that our quality graduates will be utilizing this site, and are more than happy to post available positions here. Our students remember how helpful this service was to them, and when they become alumni, return the favor as well. Students, alumni, and other fellow practitioners can search for employment opportunities including private practices, partnerships, intern and externships, and even equipment for their offices. It's a win-win situation.

Hi Jenny. Thanks for giving such a great formula for a successful career services and alumni department. We find that career schools often forget the value of alumni. The big universities have always known what a valuable resource they are. What we also see that you understand is that if you give people valuable information they will read it, act on it, and look forward to receiving it. They will see you as a valuable and credible resource. What we would like to know is how you measure success. Do you know how many alumni are placed in jobs for example? What else do you and can you measure in terms of outcomes? Yes, you have definitely created a win-win situation. At the same time your department is increasing enrollments and retention for your school and doing great community public relations. Are you measuring that too? Thanks, Susan

First, I start with what I do best...reach out to friends who are or who knows someone in the industry/field. For example, a friend of mine is the CEO/Founder of a medical management company. We now have a business relationship as well and always my students are first on the list. Another friend is work out partner at the local gym who knows a friend. Pretty soon, I am just getting phone calls from a friend of a friend of a friend....etc. Another is to Always Be Networking. Wherever I am, whoever I met, I make it a priority that that new contact person will REMEMBER MY NAME, how I can be of assistance in their company and that I LOVE WHAT I DO!! There are many other ways, but those are at the top of my list.

WOW Cristelyn - you have given us the formula for success. Be passionate about what you do and place at least 5 big request calls a day. Thanks

The most effective way to build a list of potential employers is to keep statistics. The accrediting agency require this information, so we are already doing so. The information needs be be organized in a data base that allows you to manipulate the information to organize it in different ways, ie: by name of employer that hired the students.

Hi Lore
Building a list of potential employers takes time and persistence and you have identified some ways to do that. You are right that first you have to develop relationships with employers who do hire your students. Start from the beginning and survey them as to how work-ready they feel your grads are. What other training may be needed? What else can the employers do to work with your school like doing presentations, holding mock interviews, etc. Then go after other companies that could hire your students and build relationships with them. Keeping all information in a database is essential. Then you can run reports, run searches for information, and send emails and newsletters on a regular basis. Thanks, Susan

In order to make the employer "short list" (I'm assuming that what is meant is the priority nature of that employer due to their involvement with the college), they must have had consistent contact with the college. This means that they have hired our grads and alumni, taken our interns and have had some "business connect" involvement; served on an advisory council, guest speaker in our classes, mock interviewing, participation in a career or health fair, adjunct faculty, send us their employees for additional education, etc.
These are the employers that get the "best" grads, frequent contact, invitations to campus events.
Respect those companies because they can make a career services department and its staff look really good, (or really bad).

By Visiting differents companies related to the programs that the school offer and informe them about graduate student. The other effective way is be a member of the chamber of commerce.This will help the school to get more information about the different company existing in the area. The job placement department officer should visit also the employee engencies in the school area.Attend as many as possible to monthly meeting with Work force state agency. This agency usually prepare job fare where different company meet together to offer opening to the community.I think these are some of the best way to obtaien

The Placement Dept should maintain a list of all the employers who have hired your grads in the past and those who contact you with job orders.

You should also maintain a list of which employers participate in your job fairs/class room speakers/advisory boards, etc.

I feel one of the most effective ways to build a list of employers who are likely to hire our graduates is to offer something on our website for employers searching for educated/qualified graduates.

Another way that may be useful is to inquire with all of our guest lectures and those coming in to retrieve basic CEU's.

Finally, having a regular newletter regarding our school and what we do would be helpful to meet and greet new places of employment and get their feedback and involvement as potential statkeholders in the college community.

Hi Jolyn, Really great ideas. Communicating with employers and potential employers on a regular basis is essential. It's important to let them know you want to know what their needs are in a work ready employee. Offering CEUs to meet their needs brings people to your school. And a newsletter is great as long as it is short and every article is of value. Thanks

I feel the most effective way to build a list of employers who are likely to hire our graduates is to first have the student start as an intern for a few weeks so the employer can see how well the grad can work just coming out of school.We also invite employers to our school and give tours and answer any questions or concerns they may have.

Lena Notarstefano

Hi Lena
We think that every company in town that has jobs related to your training programs should be contacted. Many may already be employers. Others will learn about your school. Offer to visit them or come to your school to see first-hand what you are doing. For those who employ your students, ask them what they think of the grad in terms of skills and knowledge. Thanks, Susan

In our school we love so much the Internet...!!! I mean, it is one of the greatest advances when trying to keep in touch with prospective students and the ones who already graduated, employers, and other contacts. And I also give a tremendous credit to the post-mail, and the use of all of its resurces, po-boxes, etc, etc... It really gathers people around and brings life to our school.

Yes, Luis. The internet is definitely the way to stay in touch with prospective students all the way to alumni. And there are so many ways - emails, social websites like Facebook, Linked In, etc. The key is to send and post interesting information so people will look forward to reading it. And to keep in touch with everyone so you don't lose track of them and can always find out about their progress. Real mail is also a nice change. People are getting back to enjoying the receipt of a letter or post card. Thanks, Susan

We currently have a list of employers that hires our graduates. These employers know our training and graduate abilities so well that they will contact our school before any other educational provider. We strive to our students and graduates the importance of maintaing a professional attitude inside and outside of the classroom to ensure that these employers will continue to utilize our services. I also invite employers in to speak to our students so they can see first hand what the student is like and also for the student to get an idea of what the employer would be like to work for.

Hi Amy

Great that you have employers who look to your school for their employees. Sounds like many opportunities. You can ask them for testimonials that you can use on your website and in promotion materials. And share with your admissions department. You can ask employers to give you feedback about how work ready the grads are. ARe any additional skills and knowledge needed? Then you can share with your department of education. And as you have discovered you can ask employers to assist in employment skills development. You might use the same strategies with employers who do not yet look to your school for employees. Reach out to these employers so they think about your school to fill openings. And all employers might want to send their existing employees to your school for additional training. Thanks, Susan

I am curious how others are showing appreciation for the employers who hire or provide externship opportunities?

Hi Mary
This is a great question. We feel appreciation should be in the form of ongoing communication with the externship employer. Ask how things are going, what could be improved, how the experience can provide greater benefits to all involved. Make it a win-win relationship. Of course the employers can be recognized by certificates of appreciation, public commendation, and publicizing the efforts of the employer. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities