Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Working with faculty to overcome negative judgements of students

I have had "advice sessions" with faculty who want to share with me their judgement calls on "unplaceable grads" - what can I do to help others keep a positive attitude concerning all students?

Tom, to us it's the job of everyone on campus to keep a positive attitude towards all students. It's about customer service and customer care and it's especially essential in the career school sector. That's why students come to our schools. Your advice sessions sound great. A customer service environment comes from the top down and in our opinion is a culture that is created by the school leaders. Thanks, Susan

Tom is it that the student is not getting the material or just not putting the time in class?

Walter

Hi Walter, Good question. When a student isn't succeeding this is one of many questions so that the school can look at itself and ask - how are we disappointing or failing this student? What additional services are needed? What's missing? How can the faculty be better trained? Thanks, Susan

I have had some success in turning it around with: "I believe there is a place for everyone but for some it may be harder to find the right fit, but let me ask you this: If they are unplaceable, how did they pass your class? I know you have very high expectations of your students." Then I start using the attributes the instructor lists to get an idea of what type of position the student may be ideally suited for.

Ronda,
That's a challenge when instructors look at their students as "failures." Perhaps the instructors need some assistance to bring out the best in each student and ensure everyone in their classes has the knowledge and skills to be successful. This also points to how important employment skills training is and why career services projects should be required on day 1. It might also be important to look at your admissions standards to be sure only qualified students are accepted. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities