Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Setting Up Externships

Dear Susan, I have been working part time for two years on creating externship relationships with regional employers. Graduates find them very valuable, and we have had a significant number of hires out of the externships. However, it has been a process that has been slow-going, as I use a contractual clinical relationship and maintain malpractice insurance for the participants. The contract has to be approved, and that can take some time due to the various levels of review. Do you have any suggestions for facilitating this process, and crafting relationships that are attractive to employers? Thanks, Karl

Other Resources

Dear Susan, Do you recommend any other resources on the topic of placement? Are there any books available that expand on these themes? Do you have a book, and how would I obtain it? Karl Kaufman

Understanding Placement Services

I have had to evaluate what I can take one and what will have to wait for our placement department. One thing that is really standing out is finding out how much our Graduates want to be involved with this endeavor. I am thinking of setting up an externship and have a graduate volunteer help manage the research required to set up this department. We already have a lot of industry contacts and many great leads for jobs, but most of our career programs are for those interested in being self-employed. Much of the services would be business development and… >>>

designate jobs to correct departments?

I have asked my admissions department to ask new students to advise us of places they aspire to work with phone and address. I hope to contact them and to have a working relationship by the time the student graduates. Although this will not work for all students it should give me an idea of what the core needs are for our job seekers. Also I am sure this will give me a good start for building industry contacts. Any other ideas would be most helpful. Kate

Student Assessment

What are some of the best tools used to assess a student so that he/she could fully understand their weakness and strengths in a positive way?

Surveys...

What surveys can you easily create and implement now to measure placement success?

Initiating student projects...

Start to think about the exercises outlined in this module and how you can encourage students to begin to work on them. Who can you get to assist with these exercises? People on staff? From the community?

Employer presentations...

Who can you ask to provide employer presentations? Who in your community can you call on to be a guest speaker about the industries for which you train? What do you have to do to approach these people to be part of your Placement Department?

Assess your placement services...

Assess your current placement services, if you offer any. What can be improved? If you do not offer any formal placement services, how can you realistically start to develop one?
Related Learning Opportunities