Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Forms or Techniques needed for Data Collection

Are there any websites, or do you have any forms and/or templates that work well for tracking all of the students information and progress
regarding placement? We are a small school and have very few students that are not corporately sponsored that request placement, but I have found the tracking aspect of their progress very difficult. Any help with creating a tracking process/form would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jennifer
Very good question. Life is easier when you can manage all of student activity effectively. Regardless of the size of your school now might be the time to look at student record management software or use something like ACT to set up and manage student file information. That means setting up files at the time they inquire about your school, when they enroll, and to track academic information and student services throughout their school life and when they graduate. Then you can manage every aspect of students employment search and placement activity. Here's a software company you might try. sfsa@diamondd.biz. There are many others as well. Best wishes, Susan

Thank you very much for your help. I will look into that company.

Have a great day,

Jennifer

If you can afford it CampusVue is outstanding. If not then, as Susan suggested, ACT is great. I used it in my recruiting business before purchasing a recruiting tracking software and the information from ACT was easily downloaded.

Thank you for the suggestion of utilizing ACT! as a means to manage graduate contact/employment information. Beyond this or other database tools, do you have any suggestions for techniques and/or software to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of a placement department in terms of measureable data?

Hi John, ACT is good. But you might want to look at student information management systems that are designed specifically for career schools. Email us separately for some recommendations. Then you will be able to maintain and update records and gather all kinds of assessment data. As you know, with good information you can do lot of good analysis to have a basis for making changes and improvements. And it's vital to stay in touch with grads and employers and track placement. Thanks, Susan

Thank you Dr. Schulz. I will contact your firm via email to follow up on my inital posting.

I have heard good things about Campus Vue. Is the cost prohibitive for a small school offering one program?

Kerry,
Campus Vue is good and seems to be designed for larger schools. There are many other student information management companies where there is a fit all around. We think some kind of record management system is a must. As your school grows paper files get cumbersome and it is hard, if not impossible, to analyze data. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We use PeopleSoft and hard copy files to track most data for our students. However, we still have challenges when it comes to employment data. Specifically, we always run into problems in pulling a list of students who need to be "counted" in particular accreditation or regulating body reports. Any advice?

Kimberly ,
This is an issue for many schools. We suggest that you use the services of companies that have created student management systems. With the press of a button you can get lists and reports to meet your needs as well as regulatory agencies. If you contact us directly we can make some recommendations. susan@susanfschulz.com Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities