Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Help with contacting employers

Like many, I'm new to Job Placement. What is the best way to contact employers, just basic cold calling? What if many are not hiring? Any tips?

Hi Matt, Interesting challenge. Suggest you start with employers who hire your grads. That's a warm call. In fact, you might want to email or write to them to expect your call and give them some topics you'd like to discuss. Then when your comfort level increases, and you know who to speak with at each company, call companies that could hire your grads if they knew you. Just one call and contact at a time and you'll have a huge network. Then be sure to keep in contact with them regularly. Best wishes, Susan

We use multiple strategies to attract the attention of employers. We target employers, sometimes out of a phonebook or a purchased database, in the industries that are most relevant. With cold calling, we frame our conversations as informational about our programs, our college, and how the career services office can help them. We invite them to participate in events, maybe to guest speak in a classroom or host a career workshop. We talk about possible internship/coop opportunities. This way, you usually do find out if they are hiring, but you are also developing a relationship. We want employers to have a connection with our school so that they come to us first every time they have an opening. I hope this helps!

Hi Courtney! Thanks for your excellent comments. These are all effective ways to procure perspective employers and inform them about your school and programs.

I have also recommended that schools develop a short list of employers that have the potential to hire multiple graduates. These employers are focused on more consistently to expand the relationship. They, for example, can provide valuable insight into any needed changes in your curriculum; mutually work on community, high-awareness projects with your best student ambassadors; and, of course, are always mailed (or emailed) copies of your school's newsletter to keep them informed of campus happenings.

Jay Hollowell, MaxKnowledge
Guest Facilitator

I am new at this job and I realized that no contact was made on a student who had graduated but did not attend graduation. I tracked him down through phone calls to ajob and made contact. We met, I gave him his diploma, established rapport with his employer, and received employer verification. Is this an accepable means of employee verification?

Hi Julian, Being new to the job gives you lots of opportunities. You can structure the placement department the way you want to ensure students benefit from the minute they enroll. The one situation you described shows the many tasks that need to be put in place to make a student work ready and a graduate successful in the job search. And the various ways to contact and build a relationship with the employer. You also point out how important it is to have a good student record management system in place to keep track of students, grads, and employers. And to follow them up regularly. Thanks, Susan

Hi there,

I am new to the placement department as well, and I have found that writting up scripts to use when doing cold calls is extremely helpful. I have quite a few with all different scenarios, for example, front office employee picks up and you ask for office manager and they ask what its regarding, I found at first without any scripts I would often stumble over my words in trying to explain why I was calling, but now with my scripts its a breeze and I am more confident with what I am talking about. If anyone has any more tips they can share, they would be greatly appreciated.

Scripts are a great idea, Joanna. For just about everything. This doesn't mean that your conversations are rote. It means that you have identified a flow of conversation, points to cover, responses to objections, and more. It allows a way for consistency, no matter who picks up the phone. And a way to measure results. And if someone is out sick, the substitute can fill in immediately. Thanks, Susan

When calling employers you have to remember that you are a sales person. Your goal is for them to hire your candidates; with this economy, the employers have options. Know your product, your graduates and their strenghts. Offer them free stuff (Certification classes, CPR classes etc). Remember It's all about the employers, their needs and how you can help THEM out, if the help you.

I agree with many of the points just mentioned. The goal should ultimately be to help the graduates find work. However, I've always thought of the notion that I have a second goal; which is to provide a service to the employer as well. By finding the best possible employee for their company, and making it as painless a process as possible, we build a relationship with that employer, and they are more than receptive to my future phone calls. With some companies, it gets to a point where they are calling us with job opportunities before I have to contact them.

This is such a great approach, Jeff. It's a great way to get the employers to look to your school as THE source for great staff. And the more you communicate and service the employers, the more you know what their needs are in an entry level employer and the more you can adjust the curriculum to meet these needs. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities