Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Graduate Board

I am trying to start some kind of a board...Graduates in the Profession Board, Externship/Internship Board...etc. I am planning on visiting the sites and employers to take pictures, have a question/answer session for testimonies and then putting these on a board. Anyone have ideas on this board should be created like on a map and such?

Sounds like you have formulated a perfect board. Or perhaps different boards for externships, grads on the job, testimonials, employers board, etc. You'll fill in the details based on response and requests. Great idea. Susan

Cristelyn
My suggestion is to take pictures at least six weeks prior to graduation. I have a pre-graduation meeting with the soon to grad students. At this meeting I have them sign a publicity relese form, job verification form, a survey and I take their picture.

Once they graduate and find gainful employment I then place their picture along with the nen job on a large tack board. The board has in big letters on the top "Congratulations on Your New Job"

Since I have students for day and night sessions, I buy them lunch and dinner.
jav

Hi John
Your techniques are great. We especially like the pre graduation meeting 6 weeks prior to graduation. Towards the end of training is a particularly vulnerable time for dropping out, strange as that seems. Students often lose energy and motivation even though the "prize" is so near. All the paperwork gives the student a feeling of importance and getting near to the official status of graduate. And the lunch or dinner adds to the feeling and rewards of being special. Great planning. Thanks, Susan

We call our graduate board the "Wall of Success". A picture of the graduate in a suit was taken at the last Career Development Class and/or at graduation. Along side his/her picture is a quote about why they chose are school, what great instructors we have, the joy of launching their new career... all quotes from surveys or conversations. The photo and quote are mounted on an 8-1/2 x 11 paper landscaped. It's framed. This becomes part of the tour prospects go on before a career event or appointment. Plus it's part of the tour given to family and friends before the start of the graduation ceremony. And yes, it's part of the tour the advisory board has before starting their meeting.

Really impressive, Diane. Sounds like it's a proud moment all around. And motivational for everyone. Students can see that successs is within their reach. It can also be a way to keep in touch with grads who can recommend students or continue to enroll in other programs your school offers. The photos make great publicity opps. It's surprising what local newspapers will pick up. And if your school has a newsletter then you can include grad photos in the newsletter. But my guess is you already do! Best wishes, Susan

One of our sister campuses has a huge job board. They don't use pictures, just square pieces of paper with the graduate's name and information on their new job. I saw a picture of this board and, covered with many pieces of paper, it's quite impressive.

We're going to start a similar board at our campus and I plan to use some of the ideas from this forum to enhance it - especially like the quotes from graduates.

Hi Mary
Sounds like the volume of paper makes an impressive statement. Have you thought of getting photos of the grads actually on the job? Also post salary increases, promotions, and other indicators of success. And maybe employer testimonials about the graduate they hired and why your school produces such great work-ready employees. Thanks, Susan

Outstanding recommendation, Mary; I have also seen "Success Boards" with pictures of graduates (with their approval, of course), pictures of graduates with their employers (particularly if the employer works closely with the school), and even pictures from extern sites that resulted in employment.

Thanks for your input!

Jay Hollowell
MaxKnowledge

(Dr. Schulz is on vacation and I have the honor as guest facilitator)

Great ideas, Susan! Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Mary. And each idea can be developed into hundreds of others!

Always important to have an active board with new and fresh ideas to keep the new grads interested

Right you are, James. Lots of ways to use grad info. Job boards, grad success stories, newsletters about grads - many ways to promote the success of your students on the job. Success tells the entire story to your potential students and keeps current students in class until graduation. Thanks, Susan

Yes I feel a new updated board for each graduating class. But keep in mind some students are willing to give out their employment information but might not want it posted for everyone to see.

Hi Lori
Good point that some students might not want the whole world knowing about where they work. But luckily most are very proud and if asked, will even give you a photo to hang. If you have limited space suggest you update the board with each graduating class. Then create scrapbooks and electronic scrapbooks of all grads for preceeding classes. Thanks, Susan

We also have a Success board. The board consists of the last graduating class, "I fouind a job" students and current students in the computer and medical labs. They really like seeing themselves on the board and can't wait to be placed in the I found a job catagory.

A Success Board is a great idea. Why not expand that to all Alumni. Get every grad to send you a story and use it to create an alumni page on your website or create a separate alumni website. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities