Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interviewing skill improvement and understanding

How can I get students/graduates to understand the importance of proper interviewing techniques, enthusiasm, and participation? Whether it is generational or simply a lack of caring the result is that great jobs are being lost by my students because of their lack of adhering to the best-practices of interviewing.

Another intersting question, Ron. There are certainly many ways for a student to learn interview skills such as reading about skills, watching a DVD, being video'ed and critiqued, getting coached, practicing in front of a group, and doing a mock interview prior to each job interview. You might want to consider requiring that grads "pass" an interview test before being allowed to go out on an interview. You set the benchmarks and perhaps have a group of peers give feedback and evaluate readiness. Thanks, Susan

Our students welcome every opportunity to receive help with interviewing skills because of our internship program which I oversee and which every student must complete.Intern sites are not assigned but instead the students must find their own. I approve the site. Students must interview with the site supervisor in order to be accepted at that site. That process becomes some of the motivation for the students wanting to interview well. We also track students who are undergoing the job search to see how many interviews they have had without being hired. When they reach 3 with no hire, I call them in to review their interview skills. We also offer lifetime placement so I spend a great deal of time reviewing interview skills with our alumni.They also welcome the assistance that we offer.

Really great points, Jack. Interesting concept - to get students to locate their own internship sites. The word must be out that some sites are better than others so maybe that is the incentive for them to learn skills to get the best internship. It also gets them to enjoy success from effective interview skills that can serve them well when they are looking for a paying job. We like the idea that after 3 interviews and no job the grad is required to come back for a brush up. Do you track the areas of weakness and where improvement is needed? Maybe those are areas you need to train for more effectively. Lifetime placement is such a great concept. It keeps your grads associated with your school. They might enroll in another program, in continuing education, or assist with career services presentation. Thanks again, Susan

In response to your question regarding tracking the areas of weakness, I encourage grads to write down the questions that were asked immediately upon getting back in their car after the interview. Of course, they don't all do that. Regardless, I ask them to review the interviews with me and take it from there. Since I also consult by interviewing and hiring for companies, I pretty much know most of the interview questions that will be asked. A review of them and discussion of the grads responses to them is pretty much all that it takes to make them more proficient. They all know the basics but my role is to give them that level of confidence they need by giving them some control over the interview by giving them the tools they need to prepare for it. When they have that confidence, they communicate it non-verbally to the interviewer.

Hi Jack, You gave us two great bits of information. Thanks. One is the complete plan for improving grad interview skills. The other is the reminder that the underlying level of confidence the grads have is what will make them successful at the interview. And it takes lot of consistent and persistent work and practice to make that happen. And we never know when that will happen. Thanks, Susan

I think that other way to help students with their interviewing is to set up a class room or meeting room with a projector film about how to get a susselful interview. There are many good video in the market right now that explain about to How to be prepare for a good interview. In addion, the job placement personel shoul give them some other important information susch be on time on the interview.

HI Gustavo

Yes, watching videos and DVDs of great interviews is a great way for students to learn interviewing skills. We find that www.jist.com has good selections. And we suggest video taping students so they can watch themselves and get critiqued by others is a good way to improve interview skills also. You might also get companies to send representatives who can hold mock interviews. Lots of practice will lead to success. And after each real interview the grad can be asked to meet with you to talk about what went well and areas for improvement. Thanks, Susan

I always prep my students by telling them they should treat their externship like a long interview. I also remind them that because of the economy employers have a variety of people they can choose from and you want to stand out to them in your interview and while you are completing your hours. I tell them to ask themselves " Why would they want to hire me over anyone else?"

I always prep my students by telling them they should treat their externship like a long interview. I also remind them that because of the economy employers have a variety of people they can choose from and you want to stand out to them in your interview and while you are completing your hours. I tell them to ask themselves " Why would they want to hire me over anyone else?"

This is really good, Mindi. We think that externships can be structured effectively so that the students are always aware that every action counts toward employment opportunities. In that way they are watching their own employability skills while learning what is needed on the job. And great to get them in a mind set to ask why they would hire themselves. In fact, it might be interesting to have them write something or fill out a form rating themselves as an employee. Thanks, Susan

We have a career development courses in which students are trained on interviews. After the students pass the test on interviewing, they conduct mock interviews. All students in the class grades the interview and they are given verbal feedback. Most students truly enjoy this process and learn from the other interviewers and interviewees.

Sounds like you have a great plan for interviewing skills. That's good. We find the more variety in practicing the skill the better. And the more frequency of practice the better. And after each real interview, the grad also needs feedback. You might want to get employers in to hold mock interviews too. It increases the anxiety level and then you can discuss ways to handle nervousness. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities