Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

No Space To Consult

I just began working for a company and the placement program is very new here. The space is very small and there is really no where to conduct one on one consultions are the empty classrooms adequet.

Sounds like quite a challenge, Stephanie. The goal is to show the school director the value of placement on admissions, retention, and of course meeting placement requirements. When you do the school director will hopefully see the critical need for adequate space for you. Here are some ideas in the meantime. Can you contact an employer and ask for office space during certain hours of each day? What about space sharing with admissions or financial aid? Those are two departments that require privacy. What about a local Starbbucks. With your situation you have to be creative. Let us know your results, Susan

I was faced with a similar problem when starting at my current position. It is very important for some individuals that they are not being heard when interviewed other then by placement officer. I always respect student’s confidentiality. In my case I know when and where on campus there are open classrooms or office so I can conduct an interview. There have been times when I met a student of campus at a local coffee shop or for lunch and I must say that when outside of the office an individual feels more relaxed and can comprehend advice as well as practice for an interview in a stress-free state. On the other hand it is time consuming when you meet with someone outside of the office plus sometimes you run into situations where you need to refer to some documentation and materials which can be at your office and it is impossible to carry everything with you all the times.

Thanks for a very effective overview of how to deal with conducting confidential meetings with students. The positive side is that when you don't have private office space students are learning to "interview" outside of their comfort zone - the school. Some interviews might be held in a group. And you might speak with the campus director about the importance of having private space since an effective placement department will increase enrollments, retention, and placement!! Thanks, Susan

Is it important to have a place where a student can do job search, fax or make calls to employers? We have never had anthing similar to this, and we are pushing to get some space. Is this standard for other Career Centers?

Hi Luis,
Many colleges have a Career Resource Center where students develop resumes, portfolios, etc.. I would continue to push for a dedicated space the students can pursue the activities you mentioned. The results will benefit both the students and the reputation of the school.
Gary

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities