Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When Do Placement Services Start?

Placement services are more effective when offered to a student toward the beginning of his/her program as opposed to near the end of coursework. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

We require students to complete one full term before they are eligible for Career Services assistance. I agree that it is more effective to start early in the establishment of a career. This allows us to help them in developing internships/coops/externships before they graduate, we have time to coach them and guide them in additional activities they might participate in to build their resumes, and they might need employment in order to attend school. My challenge is that many students consider us as sort of an 'employment agency' where we will just give them a job, rather than a career guidance center and job referral service. Especially when a student is so early in their program that it is very difficult to place them in their field. What is the best way to distinguish our department from that mentality? We want to be helpful and successful, but I don't want the students to have expectations that we cannot fulfill.

Hi Courtney!

I must say that based on years of working in career school placement services, I couldn't agree with you more!

I think that when we emphasize "early" establishment of services during students' terms, we really mean not waiting until the last term to provide guidance and assistance. Getting students focused on their career goals, job search preparation, and employment opportunities, early on, are all important, but to me that is different than "finding students a job while in school." I shutter to think that a student would be told by anyone, "come to our school and we'll get you working while you're in the program so that you can pay your bills."

I have always told students that our college was not an in-school employment agency or referral service, nor did we guarantee anyone a job; rather our mission was to assist skilled graduates with their career preparation, job searches, career documents, and interviews; plus, we would work in partnership with graduates that were active job searchers on their own by providing them job leads from our own employer list - again a career services/graduate partnership.

In fact, though I'm not suggesting that a career services department not have a job board of current opportunities (while a student is in school - not necessarily in the field), our primary focus is to assist graduates. Plus, students that get employment while in the program often do not finish the program causing a whole other set of challenges.

Jay Hollowell, MaxKnowledge
PL101 Guest Facilitator

During the orientation process I am able to speak directly to the new students. I encourage them to come and speak with me as soon as possible and discuss their aspirations and goals for the future. This gives me a general idea of where their heart lies and how much ambition they have. My door is always open and my staff and I go out of our way to assist any student in their job search even if it is out of field when they first start. With our economy being so poor and the unemployment rate so high in SW Florida (9.0% currently in my county), I always encourage my students to seek employment so they can better prepare themselves for the job search once they are at the point of seeking jobs in their chosen fields.

Great Tina. We also believe that placement activities have to start right along with the first day of class or before. And needs to be ongoing. We find that there are students who make full use of career services and those who don't have a clue about what it is all about. For those it's important to contact them regularly until they understand what you offer and it's benefits. Sometimes their reluctance is that they are not thinking ahead to graduation day. Thanks, Susan

The students who use the placement services the most are our beginning level students. They are required to do an externship as part of their coursework and usually start within the first two weeks of the progam. I tell them that they need to treat the externship like a job and show responsibility. I tell them that often times the externship site will hire them when they are finished with the program. I see this as a beginning to offering job placement services, it get the students thinking about what they want while doing their externship. If they really want to make a good impression and get hired there, they will make the most of the opportunity. I also feel that getting a job is the number one reason why a person goes to a vocational school. So offering job placement form the beginning will only foster the desire to continue and do well in school.

Very well said, Lore. We totally agree that placement services have to start with admissions and the first day of class. We also believe in the benefits of intern- and externships. Lots of opportunities, particularly for the student with limited work experience. And it helps students to really check out whether the program they enrolled in is for them. Can you tell us why your externship programs start at the beginning of the program. Most start in the middle or end so we are very curious about how they works and the benefits. Thanks, Susan

I agree that placement services start immediately when they walk through the door. The Career Services Department must immediately establish rapport and build credibility with the new students and then you have to maintain it. Playing a part in orientation and frequent class visits in the core courses also helps. We have Tuesday (or Wednesday) coffee with Career Services where students come in and just "shoot the breeze." No pressure or speeches, just getting to know each other. We have an expression that whatever happens in Career Services stays in Career Services. We want to build trust. When students communicate with you, you can help them. The Career Services process must be offered to, and be available to students from beginning to end.

HI Jack, Great formula for a career services department. We also agree that successful career services is persistent, consistent, and starts from before the time the student is even enrolled. And continues long after graduation. It makes great customer service sense and impacts on continued enrollment and referral business. This formula is one that impacts on great retention figures also. We really believe that the level of career services offerings determines the success of the school. A good reason to have a great outcomes assessment plan in place. Thanks, Susan

Yes, I agree, because I will know better his/her back ground and experience and I will have more time to place them.Another reason why is better at the beginning of the program is the fact we have more time to care hi/her placement needs. We know that a good placement service represent for our student a good opportunity to obtain a job in the field.But sometime students do not want to receive placement service because some of them are working in the field or because there not interesting in participate in our placement orentation.

Good points, Gustavo. We also think that students are a little afraid of the placement department. So the more they know you and what you offer the easier it is for them to connect. We think students aren't always sure what you offer and how you fit into the whole school experience. So the more they understand the benefits of career services, the more likely they will want to meet with you. Thanks, Susan

I speak to all the students on orientation day and introduce my staff. We explain to them what we are here to do and are very freindly and welcome them to come visit everyday. We start a connection with them day one myself and my staff teach a course the first three weekes that are students start. It is a Intro to Culinary Career in this class we talk about professionalism, resumes, cover letters, interview skills, team work, networking and job searching skills. We meet with the students two hours a day so that they get to know us and know what Career Services is all about. I agree with the others about being known as oh Career Services will just hand me a job (makes me cringe) but we explain to the students is we will give you all the tools and set you up on interviews but you must sell your self at the interview. I think starting them Day 1 with Career Services is a smart thing that my school does, we start a great rapport with them Day 1 so that they do not avoid us come externship time.

HI Diane
It sounds like employment skills training is threaded throughout the student's experience at your school. And starting with admissions. That is so great. It also sounds like you require students to complete assignments. That is also great. In that way students know that preparing for and getting a job is as important as success in each course. They hopefully learn that getting ready to seek a job is a learning experience where you are the resource but it is up to them to do the "homework." How are your placement stats? What about job retention and job advancement? Very good. Thanks, Susan

Susan,
We have developed a course entitled Career Development for Career Changers. It is 21 hours in length and earns the students one credit for their transcript. This class has a syllabus just like all their other classes. The syllabus talks about the assignments including due dates and points attached to each assignment. The placement rate for 2007 was 80%. I was on track for 83% for 2008 until September. I had significant growth in placement when we implemented stronger assistance in resume writing and required two individual mock interviews with me that are each 1-hour. I make an audio recording of the 2nd session so they have a way to keep fresh their responses to FAQ. Some students have told me they play the CD when commuting to/from school.

Regarding job advancement, not all students stay in touch. Placement services isn't my only responsibility so it's challenging to find the time to make regular touches to graduates. Those that do stay in touch are having success. Most are getting promotions within 6-18 months of their hire date. Others are letting me know they are enjoying contract work and hoping one may lead to a job offer.

Sincerely,
Diane

Sounds like you are getting great results from great effort, Diane. We like the idea of the 21 hour course and the fact that you figured out that stronger resume and mock interview assistance would make a difference in placement. It's really great that students are playing their interview CDs over and over. Maybe you can create CDs with ideal interviews that you create or typical problems and how to handle them. Staying in touch with grads who are on the job is always a challenge. And if you have other responsibilities it's very difficult. But imagine having verified information about promotions and salary increases. That would really impact on admissions and retention. And of course placement. And you'd get a lot of PR too. Best wishes, Susan

I absolute agree. When a student has this information and orientation from the beginning of their program, it allows them to start their planning and goal setting.

This also allows for a relationship to start between the placement coordinator and student. This is good because as the PC starts to establlish relationships they get to know the student and try to offer a better placement or job opportunity to the student that best fits them.

Good comments, Jolyn. Students need to know about placement services right from the start. Much better than waiting until the end of the student's program and before a chance of dropping out. You are right that a relationship with the placement department staff is essential. It is the personalized attention that helps to customize a program for each student. In this way each student has the missing skills needed for the job search process. Thanks, Susan

I agree. At our school we begin teaching resume preparation and how to write an effective cover letter during the students' first few weeks. We offer one hour workshops every week, covering resumes, cover letters and interviewing skills.

In addition to skill building, this process helps students get to know the Placement Department so they feel comfortable setting up individual appointments for any additional help they feel they need.

Hi Mary, Sounds like a perfect plan. Are students required to attend all or the workshops or a certatin number of them? What kind of placement results do you have? Do you track job retention and job success? Thanks, Susan

Students are required to attend all the workshops.

Our placement results vary by program, but obviously we consider 70% a minimum standard.

We don't currently track job retention and job success, although we do ask employers to complete a "Job Skills Survey" to help ensure that our programs are providing graduates with the skills they need in the workplace.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities