Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Internet Changes

What specific changes has the Internet brought to computer mediation of the instructional process?

Computer mediation has added an additional dimension to the instructional process: Ubiquity, that is student(s) and instructors don't need to be facing each other at a specific time.

The internet has brought a wealth of information and flexibility to computer mediation of the instructional process. The abiliity to research and share information any time and any where is a great way to keep students engaged.

The lively "on-line" conversations of exchanging viewpoints and alternative methods of reaching a conclusion has helped many students to turn on the "light blub" in their brain regarding topics which may have been an obstacle for them in the past.

The internet has opened the door to broader viewpoints as time and space cease to be a barrier to information.

I am a visual learner and the ability to have a picture of a concept or location is always a plus for my learning style. I think learning about Shakespeare would have been a thousand times more engaging if the internet was available to pull up pictures of the local area.

Hi Glenda,
I feel the same way about many subject areas that remain so passive for me as I did not have many opportunities to directly engage with them. I think your point about the Internet providing much more information than ever before possible in a course and also the immediacy of the technology itself is so important. The latter almost demands a much higher level of engagement from both teachers and students.

Hi Jack,
Yes the ubiquitous nature of new technology certainly brings an immediacy and inter-connectedness to learning environments and to what is possible in instruction. It also requires a change in mindset for teachers who may be more used to viewing things individually and in a linear flow. The challenge is to thinking and instructional design.

The internet, not much, however, web2.0 and more specifically e-learning 2.0 has introduced a set of new tools which can facilitate collaboration. Interestingly, with the emergence of web3.0 tools, virtual worlds has introduced an entire new set of immersive learning environments, such as Harvard's River City Multi-user Virtual Environment (MUVE).

Yes, great point, Jolly. The next generation of instructional technology will for sure be about immersive learning environments which will, in turn, challenge again the notions of authentic learning and affective digitally-based assessment. At graduate school we studied MOOS and used them to create learning environments. Who knew??? :)

Internet has allowed learners from all over the world to interact and learn from each other. It has also brought the wealth of information to our fingertips in a way that has never been seen throughout our history. It has allowed asynchronous learning that is not merely correspondence based, but truly interactive. In it's best, it has allowed opportunities for truly transformational learning without the boundaries of time and space.

Hi Tami,
I agree that the Internet provides both connectivity and multidimensional layering that truly affects teaching and learning. You also mention the information that is now available which redefines the role of the instructor. Good points...

As an online educator, I have become accustomed to taking advantage of using technology as a vehicle for sharing information with learners. At this point we are probably all quite comfortable with aids like email, presentations, discussion areas, etc. The area of instructional design is quite new to me and I understand that there are many models out there. It does make a lot of sense to me that designers have an understanding of their learners, the tools available and the hoped for outcomes of the activity. They apply the tools based on the anticipated outcomes and learner characteristics with the overall goal being to enable the learner to gain some knowledge. The Internet as a tool in the designer's bag of tricks seems to expand in the area of discovery learning. The Internet is one huge resource of information. Students have the ability to research just about any topic and find thousands of articles on the subject. The Internet is quite rich when it comes to explanations of various topics in various formats (audio, video, etc.). Students may find tutorials and even simulations that help them to better understand material. Students need to be self-directed in order to capitalize on this, which can be a challenge. I think that another challenge with the Internet as part of the instruction process is that students may not have a good understanding about how to select credible sources. Some may even be overwhelmed with all the material when they are using a method of discovery learning. This is where scaffolding is an important element.

Glenda, I too would have enjoyed seeing pictures related to Shakespeare whether they were the locality or other. Visuals definitely help one to understand more fully and to become more engaged. Too bad movie cameras were not available at the time. Imagine seeing Shakespeare doing a reading of his own books!

Hi Diane,
Yes, scaffolding of student learning is an important way to support students through the process. Additionally, the importance of intentional intervention by the instructor is also crucial in helping students make sense of the information and the application. Therefore, both the instructional design and the support of the instructor is vital in helping students attain autonomy in learning. Great points!

I agree...video would bring so much history to life, wouldn't it? It is interesting, however, that even though we do have so much technology currently, we often still choose rather static content and wonder why students struggle with engagement :)

The Internet continues to make a lot of changes to the learning process.

One does not need to be at at particular place at a particular time - Asynchronous learning. This is a huge advantage.

There is the fear of sufficient interaction with peears and the instructor. However, there is abundant research that clearly dismisses such fears and the Internet therefore provides the best of both worlds (fact to face interaction and online learning).

Thanks.

Hi Jack,

You mentioned one huge change Internet brought to learning - that the learner and the Instructor do not need to meet at any particular day and at any particular time.

To some people, this raises some concerns. For example, if the learner needs help, what avenues are available to the learner to make contact with instructor if the day and time of contact are unknown or "sine die"? How does the learner know exactly when his/her inquiries will be responded to by the instructor in an onoline platform?

In face to face learning, the student knows the day and time of class and therefore almost guarantees that he/she will make contact with instructor on that particular day and at that particular time. Thie feature is not available to pure online learning and seems to cause some concerns to some students - at least at the initial time.

Just wondering viable options here ... Thanks.

Hi Alex - For those of us who have the ability to combine asynchronous & synchronous learning in our virtual classrooms it opens a whole new learning experience for our students.

In my classes I see the fear comes more from the unknown in the online environment as opposed to the lack of interaction. Once those fears are squelched and the students realize that I am there for them and answer faster than the 48 hour turn around time they are able to then concentrate on their work more which normally makes them productive and successful.

Dawn

Yes, Dawn...and chat is a wonderful tool to enhance knowledge building as well. I have used it successfully with groups of 25 students at once and facilitated live discussions on a central course concept or topic. At first the students didn't see how this would benefit them but after the experience, they all felt like the discussion had reached a whole new level because of the directness of the environment.

Good questions, Jack. I agree that initially this can cause students worry - I know it did for me when I was first introduced to the whole idea of email connections without going directly to my professor :) Of course the more you work online with students the more you realize that although it takes a lot of effort to create connections and develop communities of learners with students, when it happens successfully, the connections can be much stronger than in a face-to-face class. I'm interested in reading more from others on this subject...

Yes, Alex. The Internet has changed teaching and learning forever in my opinion. There still are fears about what will happen to what we have come to recognize as regular instruction and often students can be fearful that they might become less important and less individual in such environments. The most amazing characteristics of the Internet, however, are that through this technology we can create and sustain direct connections with students within the larger class group - therefore providing almost tutorial instruction with students while still maintaining the larger class interactions and flow.

The internet has brought lots of changes to computer mediation. I can remember when everybody that was online had a "dial-up" connection! With that kind of connection, you wouldn't be able to do any of the things we do today. As examples, downloading files and uploading files would take way too long so the fact that today most of us have either DSL or cable modem connections means we don't have that challenge. As a result, we can upload and download course content much quicker. We can also add much more content to our online classes because of the improvements in technology!

We also have no limitations as to where we are when in class. We can be on the internet working on our class at home, on a business trip, even on a Caribbean Cruise (which I've done lots of times while teaching online classes)!

John

Sign In to comment