Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Classes and Syllabi for Accreditation

What are the implications for Accreditation for online classes? Will they follow the same guidelines?

Mike,

In the end, yes. What you are working on is teaching objectives to students. The delivery method should be secondary to content (although delivery strategy will need to change).

Jon

Is there a working set of guidelines for say... ACICS?

Yes, Check out the "Distance Education Application" at

http://www.acics.org/applications/downloads.aspx?id=58

All higher education is accredited

Through CEC that is true, but I have found that there are institutions of higher education that have dubious "accreditation".

Peterson's guide is useful for checking accreditation, but it may not include the newer institutions of higher learning.

Does anyone else have some insight that I have missed?

True - definitely something to watch out for! - Jon

Thank you. We are anticipating an audit from TWC (Texas Workforce Commission). As long as we adhere to the ACICS standards, then we'll be fine with TWC, correct?

Cyndy,

I cannot say definitively, but best practices are similar in the US.

Jon

My experience in creating an online program offered by a previously all-on-ground college was very rigorous. We were scrutinized very thoroughly. The commission I dealt with wanted to know every detail of the operation: how and where servers were located and operated, what were our back-up procedures and power sources, the "track records" of companies providing contracted services, personnel data of instructors, etc. All this before we even got a state license or the commision's approval to operate the program.

Sign In to comment