Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tablet PCs

Describe how the use of tablet PCs can increase customization and flexibility for students.

Tablet PCs have the potential to give students the ability of mobile connectivity without losing any of the functionality that traditional mobile devices lack. Concerning current smart phones, the technology is very limited because the size restrictions limit the computing power and screen sizes of these devices. The quality of images and video play back isn’t comparable to PC devices, and the readability of documents is limited. Tablet PCs address these shortcomings. Students will have the ability to experience the full benefit of multimedia technology with a larger screen and accelerated hardware. Tablet PCs will expand mobile computing in ways that just isn’t possible with today’s smart phones.

I agree, Kavita. The tablets are also changing and are bringing more touch-screen technology to the fore. This will provide for increasing rapidity of response and self-directed learning choices from the learner. This, of course again brings huge challenges to current teaching methods and advances instructional support from facilitation and intervention to constructive learning partner.

I know that this is sort of off the main thread, but the question inspired me to think about one of my favorite TV series, "Star Trek - The Next Generation". On the show in a countless number of episodes, characters are seen with "datapads" that contain information that can be pulled up or downloaded from anywhere on the ship. Reminds me so much of this particular question about tablet PC's. I envision a time in the not-too-distant future where students will practically be required to have a tablet PC, much like those datapads, where students can download reading material, complete and upload homework, and even watch lectures without having to worry about a classroom or online forum.

Customization? Flexibility? Hehe, we're talking about maximization of each! There are both advantages and disadvantages to this approach, but I can foresee it becoming a reality very soon.

I agree, Donald. The capability to deliver content in various formats and modes is of course with us already...with the tablets, customization, collaboration, capture, and distribution is on a whole new curve.

Actually I am not sure the software is in stride with the tablet pc concept. We use them for a time at CTU-Sf with marginal success. The capability was there but the effective use and the capability of the software was the issue. The potential for effective application is high just not clear in my own mind if the software is there yet.

Good points, Francis. I agree that software development is critcal to cetain applications of technology use for instuction. Most software development for instructional purposes, however, happens as feedback is presented by instructors in the field. The more familiar we are with the potential of the technology, the more likely it is we will find the software we need :)

I think it rests in the capability for multiple functions. Students can take notes, draw, design, and read material on tablet PC's. I used one for may years in the classroom until someone "borrowed" it out of my office. I miss it for those reasons.

-Chris

Good ideas, Chris. A fairly major concept to explore with this technology is its potential to provide students with the ability to self-direct class work (therefore customizing the experience) as well as directly share the distribution of learning through capturing and distibuting the exchange.

The flexibility issue has been extremely important for many of my non-traditional students. When they are required by their businesses or organizations to travel, they are still able to stay engaged with the course and participate in assignments and forums. Powerpoints and documents can be annotated with notes by the student allowing them to concentrate more on discussions without being burdened by extensive note taking.

Indeed, the flexibility factor is hugely important, James. What challenges does that bring to your teaching methods and your role in the overall learning experience of your students?

The use of Tablet PC to allow the student that has other obligations can work on training while they are in between other personal and job related tasks to continue working on education.

Good ideas...how about employment skills? Do you think tablet PC technology is important for future employees?

This is technology at it's best. Remember the old legal pads we used for years, where we would take notes and information, and have to rush back to our books, manuals or even dictionaies to track down our correct solutions. These pads eliminate a great deal of our extra time and steps that are required to find answers to our problems. The trouble shooting info is now at our fingertips, literally.

Good points, Thomas. So this technology literally puts the students' hands on the technology and develops in-context skills. How have you had to adjust as an instructor when using this technology?

This question has a different meaning in the graphic design field, the tablet allows the student to use a more life like feel of the use of a pen or paintbrush instead of the mouse. Which is good it gives the student a different feel and aspect to the program, a more traditional feel so they the student learns more than one way to do the prject given.

Good points, Scott. I would say this is the major benefit of instructional technology that students can learn content from various perspectives and using different approaches.

One of our campuses is instituting PC's as learning tools and is having great success. The students are very pleased to input the course materials and a great deal of interaction is taking place.

Our students have been using tablet PCs for 5+ years now. We were able to offer them to the students without much complication because our career school is small. What I have found is that the students don't really utilize the tablet function, even thought they use their laptops in almost every course they take. They seem to be more impressed with the fact that they get a laptop! Also, some instructors have done a better job than others of really challenging students to step outside their comfort zones and use these features.

Thanks for sharing that scenario, Angela. How do you think the tablet function could benefit the students' learning experience?

Sign In to comment