Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Blended Learning Opportunities

In addition to retaining the face-to-face sessions with students, what other opportunity does hybrid or blended learning offer students?

It provides the student the opportunity to go off on their own to find the link to the learning that makes it valuable to them. Another benefit for the student is that they still have the safety net of an instructor to fall back on but have the freedom to venture out on their own to explore at their own pace, the areas that may be of interest to them.

Hi Donald,
Yes this delicate balance of individualized learning within a larger community of learners is difficult to always do well. It is, however, important as students need both sets of skills. With new technology and direct communication, it is more likely that teachers can become more helpful and relevant to students when needed.

I think hybrid learning really provides the student with the flexibility to focus on the topic at their inidividual pace. Since we are all different, this felxibility allows students to process the information in the time "they need" as oppose to the "enforced time" associated with the standard classroom.

The extra time generally means a better formualted response and improved comprehension of the question and answer. The student can choose which works best for him/her if they need the additional help. Is it help from the computer (internet resources, blogs, etc.) or face-to-face interaction?

Yes, Glenda, I agree that time is often what is cut short in more conventional course deliveries. In a hybrid delivery, time can be more flexible and, therefore, more helpful to the student. I think the intentionality of the instructional design can mean that each instructional exchange, whether online or in person, is also more meaningful for the student.

Blended learning is not limited to online and the traditional classroom. Blended learning can also include synchronous instructional media such as video conferencing, satellite e-learning, and web conferencing, in addition to the tradiational F2F classroom. Futhermore, blended learning can include asynchronous tools instructional media such as pre-recorded audio and/or video, as well as CBT and/or WBT. Generaly speaking, asynchronous instructional media better supports the lower cognitive levels (knowledge & comprehension), while synchronous media can better support the higher cognitive levels (analysis, synthesis, & evaluation) and a dialectic learning environment.

Good points, Jolly. Yes, a variety of technology can be used to mediate the instruction but usually refers to instructional exchanges that are physically in one space and those that are not. I like your comments about asynchronous and synchronous and agree that the tools should be selected based on the outcomes.

Good discussion...

Hybrid learning provides the best of both worlds for students! They get to "see" and "hear" the facilitator at selected times during the course, and they also get to work at their own pace in an asynchronous fashion during the rest of the course. Studies have shown this combination of on-ground and on-line education does the best job of preparing students for the "real world"!

You brought up some good points Jolly about the important distinction between synchronous and asynchronous learning in the hybrid model - way to go!

John

Yes, John, and it encourages instructors to make the best of each instructional exchange rather than pouring through static content.

That's true too Ruth,

The dynamic, non-linear based content is what is the driving force behind hybrid learning in my opinion.

John

Also the blend of mediation and delivery that combines the best of all worlds.

I think a hybrid course is more "democratic" in that often times the students that are very introverted in an on-ground setting tend to participate more in an online setting. Hybrid courses enable a variety of interactions at different levels and therefore can be more telling with regards to how much a student comprehends and participates in a course.

Of course hybrid courses also have the previously mentioned advantages of flexibility [learning on demand], students are not constantly tied down to a specific physical location [classroom], and the variety of online interactive medias often stimulate students in ways that facilitate greater involvement with course content.

Great points, Ron. When designed and delivered well a blended course can provide students with various opportunities to engage and instructors with various opportunities to meet learners' needs.

Hybrid or blended learning offers great flexibility and convenience to students and I think that is a great push for many. It really is the best of both worlds where students enjoy the convenience of online or e-learning as well as the help of a teacher as needed through face-to-face interaction. It also allows the flexibility in terms of learning which is extended beyond the classroom.

Yes it does, Dianne, and also challenges instructors with various approaches and methods in their delivery. This makes for a richer experience for everyone.

Hybrid or blended learning provides students with more than the usual mediums (i.e. lecture, textbook, notes) to attain new knowledge. This is important because not all students are the same, and some students who have different needs and interests might learn more from different methods of teaching. Interactive lectures, visual presentations, and various other dynamic methods help students feel a bit more at ease in learning rather than just reading and listening.

It also loosens the learning environment enough to provide students with a bit of personal responsibility and self-direction in the learning process. Not only does that inspire individual thinking, but builds a sense of empowerment in the student that they can do their own research without direction - necessary skills in real world business.

Hi Donald,
I agree with your thoughts here: both the learning styles and learner autonomy can be addressed quite effectively with blended delivery. I would also suggest that instructors have the opportunity for using a variety of methods and learning supports in this kind of course.

Hello All! My name is Teresa, glad to be a part of this forum :o)

I find that the hybrid/blended course allows those that are intimidated by "online classes" to take a "baby step," so to speak. They get all the benefits you all have mentioned that go along with blended courses, plus they know they will have that face time with the facilitator also. So for someone terrified of technology, the blended course can show them there's really nothing to be afraid of :o)

In my blended course, they are given assignments that once they research and study during the online section, they can then bring that information back to the "live" session, which makes for a richer discussion, group project, etc.

Blended courses, as well as online courses period, allow for the introduction of new skills. For example my folks have to do a power point. Many of them have no experience with that tool. By defining the focus of the power point- (example- this will be a community awareness presentation to educate the community on head injury prevention), and then teaching them in class the elements that go into developing a lively, interesting educational program geared toward the community, they learn several new skills that can be built upon and used in other classes as well.

I agree, Teresa. There are many benefits for students who may fear technology somewhat and, I would suggest, for faculty too - for the same reasons :) The main challenge to faculty is the pedagogical shift and this is a way for them to transition.

Sign In to comment