Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Technology to Develop New Skills

What types of new skills does the use of new technology develop in students?

Depends entirely on the learning objectives. Specifically, if a learning objective is to acquire a new skill (vis-a-vis a new knowledge set), then the new skill needs to be identifed and defined. That process must be completed in order to determine the level of skill obtained meets the criterion of the learning objectives. For example, the U.S. Air Force is using virtual worlds for pilots to learn new skills pertaining formation flying. While these skills can be obtained using flight simulators, a very expensive proccess, the same learning objectives and skills can be obtained using immersive learning environments. Learning objectives drive the selection of the technology, and while the technology does not affect the content, it affects how you design the content.

Yes, Jolly, and the skill development using new technology is mulilayered. That is, various skills can be developed at once - this of course can be the case without technology, however, with technology it usually happens. We don't always value every skill that is developed and struggle with adequate assessments in that regard.

Hi,
The new technology enhances the student ability to perform multi-tasking, to absorb knowledge through listening, visualizing, and synthezing knowledge.

Yes, Jack, and those skills should be valued and rewarded throughout. Good points!

This is a great question Ruth!

I think one of the most important things about blended - and online - learning is that students learn new technologies. Regardless of their major, and the content of their courses, they are in many cases learning new technologies. These new skills can be physical - how to write blogs, how to use wikis, and understand interactive white boards, as well as learning to access and use forums, and (perhaps) even Google!

They also learn new "soft" skills, such as how to access online learning opportunities from sites such as Google and YouTube, and how to search for tutorials which are freely available online!

John

Ruth,

I'm going to add to the comments I made yesterday about using Google to search for tutorials. Let's say I'm a student in an online database class and the teacher gives us a discussion question about how to build relationships in a SQL Server database. After going through the textbook, and preparing my answer, I decided that I would like to actually build a "real world" example so I Google the topic and find lots of free tutorials. Excited because of this wealth of information, I spend the next two days building table relationships in an MS SQL Server database from the information in these tutorials. I have now learned way more than I would have otherwise learned because of being empowered in the online classroom.

John Maloney

Yes, John, I agree..there are various kinds of skills that can be developed as a result of blended learning. I also think it can provide a great balance between individual and group learning and encourages the instructor to be intentional about each instructional exchange.

Exactly, John. Students who are using technology to support their own learning are developing many new skills that perhaps the instructor does not have and also that the course does not value in terms of grade. We also need to rethink the assessment of the developed skills.

So far everyone has provided some very good points about the development of new skills through the use of technology. The Internet brings so much to the student's fingertips. Using search engines and socialization sites like YouTube can really enhance one's learning. To this, I would like to add that student's learn how to be self-sufficient as they successfully find answers to questions about a variety of topics. They also learn how to differentiate between good sources and bad sources. With so much available, students should learn how to select the best source that helps them the most!

I really agree, Diane. There are all sorts of opportunities for students to develop research skills, and other higher order thinking skills if instructors integrate the kinds of uses you describe. Again it is vital for instructors to be intentional about technology use and designing that use to facilitate and achieve the learning outcomes of the course.

In a very broad sense the types of new skills that using new technology develops in students are 1) the understanding that skills needs continual maintenance and updating – we don’t live in a world where skills are acquired and that is it, 2) the awareness that technology is advancing at an alarming rate and that students need to develop a proactive attitude towards new technologies and new skills to remain competitive, and 3) the ability to view themselves as lifelong learners that can connect with, or interface with, content and training in a variety of way using a multitude of mobile platforms.

When we look at new technology it is like looking at writing across the curriculum. We want our students to be able to use all forms of technology in order to be successful, just as we want them to have proper grammar in their writing. The issue with technology is that sometimes our students go for the “easy way out” (find a paper online discussing what I need to answer and submit it with few changes) as opposed to doing their own work.

Yes, Ron, and I think the challenge to current instructors is to maintain their own skills of life long learning to keep current with new instructional approaches and methods based on technological and societal changes.

Yes, that is so true, Dawn, so it isn't just about the use of technology but we as instructors still need to teach and develop concepts and skills in legitimate and accountable use of information.

There are several new skills. For one, technology forces students to often reply in writing rather the via speaking. This enforces better writing skills. Use of technology also teaches students to consider a variety of different sources of information, and be involved in a learning process in a holistic manner. Every learning activity has meaning and is important for the process.

Yes, Tomi, I like your ideas about writing and the consideration of ideas (thinking). Also, the notion of learning exchanges having purpose is so important for both students and instructors - efficiency.

Dr. Reynard,

I would agree with Jolly that the skill depends on the learning outcome, but I believe technology enhances critical thinking skills. The level of critical thinking is as varied as each student.

Hi Angela,
Yes, I agree and I would suggest that the level of critical thinking also depends on the instructional design which would intentionally plan for supported learning and problem solving assignments to assess critical thinking skills. In other words, the technology can facilitate the process, however, the skill development is a planned and intentional process of teaching and learning.

New technology provides students with the ability to change things some...they can create more and learning can be applied in new ways. They have more opportunity to make new paths in learning and new ways of achieving the end result through innovation!

Sign In to comment