Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Applications

What are the two main technology applications and uses that influence this characterization of today's students?

The two main technology applications that influence the "Nomadic Learner", in my opinion, are wireless applications and mobile communication/computing applications. The learner can access verbal, visual, audiotory, and virtual spaces to achieve learning anytime, anywhere he/she chooses, including while driving, waiting in queues, and other places where "traditional" linear learning is not available. Cell phones and wireless Internet allow instant access to authoritative answers to questions that arise from stimulus encountered in life's situations. In times past we would have to remember the question (which was hard for some of us to do unless we wrote it down), and then go to the public library or home encyclopedia or seek an expert to find the answer. This was too much trouble most of the time, so our questions went unanswered. For example, I was recently at the Vitginia State Fair looking at the huge pumpkins submitted and it occurred to me that I didn't know what the world's record heaviest pumpkin weighed. I accessed my cell phone app and found the record to be 1689 pounds in Rhode Island in 2007, and I could even see a picture of that pumpkin. (After the Fair, I discovered that record was broken on October 7, 2009 in Ohio with a 1725-pound gourd!)

Through wireless technology and mobile communications we can learn almost anything anywhere using a variety of learning modes if we choose to do so. Of course, there is at least one caveat. Since there is no control over the reliablilty of the information, we must be careful trusting the information we find in this way. In times past we could trust the reputable publishers to assure accuracy, but the Internet is full of misinformation because there is no authoritative control!

The mobile and wireless innovations over the past 5 years alone have dramatically changed the digital landscape for students. I think this has subsequently left many faculty feeling out-of-touch as they did not grow up with these technologies or anything close. It is like comparing a broom to an iRobot Cleaning Robot - you can't. Even the newly emerging Wi-Fi Direct Connect technology is/will change yet again how users can connect with various mobile technologies.

Another factor that influences this characterization of today's students [and I would suggest removing the usage of Generation Y – any reference is dated these days] is that technology itself is putting "the cart before the horse." Whatever the new technology [I recently have been calling this the "new candy wrapper"], from Mi-Fi to Twitter, is instantaneously adopted and propagated without serious research and analysis as to the impact they will have in education, especially in widening the gap between student and instructor when the trend should be heading in the other direction. I don't blame students for adopting any of these newly emerging technologies, they are the "fish in the barrel," and so for the meantime it creates a substantial burden on faculty to stay up-to-date as best they can.

I agree with your comments, Ron. The challenge for instructors is of course not only to be familiar with the idea of change but also to keep their minds alert as to the changes brought to teaching and learning as a result.

Yes, Cecil, and, of course, that instant access to information goes a long way in redefining the role of the instructor and increasing learner autonomy, when handled well.

You know, I thank my lucky stars that I've always been a computer geek! Students often are familiar with a certain piece of technology before an instructor is. Say Twitter or Diggs for example. Even MySpace has become old hat at this point, taken over by Facebook and now Twitter. Even yahoo is expanding their social networking game to include Yahoo 360 and now the new version which is more like Facebook or MySpace.

And you are so right Ron, that students often adopt the new site, technology, etc. without really knowing what they are getting into or the implications of usage. How many stories are we now hearing of people losing their jobs, or scholarships because of an inappropriate (by someone's standards) picture or comment they posted on one of the social networking sites?! The roles of those sites are changing as rapidly as new ones are being created.

So we darn well better keep up with the technology and know how to use it, even if WE don't use it, because they do. That can be a huge boon to the use of technology in the blended or online class...it can also be a huge distraction. It can even be dangerous. Some sites are open forums for viruses, trojan horses, worms, etc. If an instructor chooses to use that site or service, then the whole class gets a virus! Well you get my point. :o) We just need to be in the know. You can't use something effectively or efficiently if you have no familiarity with it.

I'm with you, on some aspects of the newer technologies, more research needs to be put into making sure we can narrow, even close the gap. Instructors not "in the know" these days can be looked upon as antiquated or severely lacking in what's happening in the technological world. Thus they may be seen as not very credible resources or supports when attempting to implement their use in the classroom.

Things change so quickly. I've had great success using the various internet and wireless based resources. However, I make sure I know what they do, what they can't, and how will using that particular adjunct to my class be relevant and meaningful IN THE LONG RUN. Sometimes what seems like a good tool today, may turn out to be the contrary later on.

The internet and the expansion of wireless services! If I say wrong something in the classroom, or miss explaining something I can be sure that I will be corrected by the end of the evening - usually by the end of the next break (I think it would be sooner but I take a dim view of texting in the classroom and they for the most part go along). I think that the learners know where to find information, how to look it up, and they figure out what is important or not.

I have learned to embrace this change, it gives me less to worry about with my graduates. They have great networking skills, they know how to research, they have the technology to get the answers. I know if they get stuck in front of a furnace at a customers house and they can't figure out how to fix it they will go out to their truck, get on their handheld phone, call a friend, or use the laptop to get on the internet and get the answers. I just need to give them the confidence to do so.

The other side of this is that the students know this as well, they know they will be able to find the answers, look up the information, and be connected. Some of what we teach in terms of memorization no longer applies. Why do they have to memorize how to assemble something when they will always have access to the diagram and step-by-step instructions?

Gives us something to think about.

-Chris

Indeed it does, Chris. I love your distinction between finding information and learning new things. Once teachers can set themselves free from information control, they will be able to explore what it means to truly facilitate the learning process. How would you say this understanding has expanded your role as a teacher? Great discussion!

I think it has made me more aware of the need for change. It also puts me in a bind, I work in a state where we need to present a specific amount and type of information to students for pre-licensing coursework. This is a very specific curriculum and makes no sense in the present day world.
My understanding of dynamic education, my understanding of the new "net" generation, and my understanding of technology makes some of this information irrelevant, but I need to present it anyways. This is sometimes very frustrating. I have learned how to present information in the form of problem solving and including a lot of the state mandated "crap" in the hands-on problem solving.

Great approach - posing problems for students is a good way to involve students in the process. When handling a lot of information that you feel is either redundant or irrelevant it is important to treat it as information only...not knowledge construction. While most teachers stick with the information only and evaluate the momorization of that information only, students are not developed into critical thinkers or problem solvers, or knowledge workers.

As you continue to focus on problem solving, how can you move your students past information exchange and into knowledge contstruction?

I believe the two main technology applications that influence the students of today is the ability to have access to information from almost anywhere via the internet (I disagree that the root technology is "wireless technology") and the use and acceptance of video as a learning tool.

Many students rely on the internet for communication and learning. They use access to internet programming for email, chat and entertainment/edutainment. When they want to learn about something they can be masters at using research tools via the internet to watch and or hear the subject material from several different sources and points of view. As skilled facilitators and educators these are the areas we need to learn to exploit so that we can quickly prepare the student for the part of training that no technology has yet been able to replace, directed hands on application of learning.

Steve
I couldn’t agree more, I teach at an automotive training school and the hands on portion of the students training should always augment the information they receive from the internet.

Good comments, Steve. How do you think you could begin to use the Internet more as an instructional tool than a delivery mechanism?

It would be my opinion that it is another tool in a facilitator’s box to help all learning types get the most from a particular lesson. As with all tools in my box, they require proper usage which includes giving a clear expectation of what is to be learned, WIFM that applies to the students, delivering the material in an engaging manner, questioning for understanding, a summary that verifies the material has been completely covered and lastly a hands on exercise to verify the objective is understood and can be demonstrated. With the exception of the hands on portion any of the above items could be delivered over the internet, the key is putting facilitator led components in between where needed. Where needed is based upon experimentation with reference to outcome.

I completely agree with Wayne, hands on is important, more inportant than pecking away at a terminal or i-phone. Technology like the internet should be the 'salt' of a course instead of the 'meat' of it.

With wireless capability and internet access, the new problem will be that there will be so much information and / or conflicting information. The instructor will be needed to "qualify" the autheticity of the students' info or interpret the meaning of published works.

Yes, Warren, the instructor is vital in the process even with new technology. Students must learn how to research and manage relevant and legitimate information and that guidance comes from the instructor - the content area expert.

I think that the internet and wireless have done more for expanding the "horizons" of today's students than anything else. If they (students) don't get it in the classroom, they will get it else ware. Social networking has expanded to the point of being able to supply information globally on any given subject matter. Someone has done it, seen it, fixed it or experienced it before and is willing to share.
To me, the connectivity is the amazing part of where technology has gone today. A hot spot used to be a place where a dog would keep scratching. Now days it's a place to get a wireless hookup. I just need to keep up with the technology so I can engage in an intelligent conversation with students about their connectivity, chat etc.

Yes, Steven, and this kind of constant connectivity has huge implications for how courses are designed and delivered and the kinds of assignments students can be involved in. So, given this, what kinds of changes would you say are most important for instructional design and delivery?

A lot of the info my students see on the web is fan based or hear say and the students believe it is gospel what a shame.

Sign In to comment