Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Characteristics of Dynamic Learning Environments

What essential characteristic distinguishes dynamic learning environments from conventional environments?

Ruth, that's an interesting question. I see dynamic learning as going beyond the classroom, specifically past what was called the "linear" flow of knowledge so that an endless series of learning connections can be made. The technology is part of it, but good heavens, a good steady use of a large encyclopedia could be dynamic.
Thinking more generally, I am not certain that every field lends itself to this--for example, math for most students, needs a lot of step-by-step interaction to get the fundamentals across (although beyond that computer-based learning could be excellent if the learner is disciplined). I wonder how your use of language teaching worked in Canada--again, discipline is necessary.
But in the long run I see education changing. Perhaps the undergraduate college (or even high school) instructor standing in front of a class will become as rare as a butler. My wife's field of accounting radically changed with computers and emails. Perhaps that is the future for better or, sometimes, worse. Thanks for listening to my rather rambling answer, but this simple question raised many issues that we as educators have to work through.

Hi Richard,
Yes, I agree that a certain amount of the change we're experiencing is a kind of "fall out" of increased uses of certain types of technology in various social and educational situations. However, those changes are affecting communictaion and information flow considerably and as such, have strong relevance to education. New technology is flexible, so different disciplines will use technology differently, however, the basic systems will still change. About Math...regardless of new technology...there are so many students who feel marginalized by current Math teaching strategies. Perhpas an increased use of new technology might include more students in the process and encourage more students to feel "successful" in Math.

Good discussion...

In AIU's online course structure, there is less opportunity for dynamic instructional design since the courses are linear very structured. With that said, in AIU's online environment, the primary mode of delivery of instructional content is the Binded Object Oriented Knowledge System (BOOKS) that arrive on the students door step every 5 weeks via the mail. However, an online facilitator can utilize alternate content delivery that can provide context and clarity to the course material. Specifically, the use of asynchronous learning modules, designed in PPT or other instructional content authoring tools, can allow for additional exposure to the material to be learned.

I think this is very interesting, Jolly, and provides the instructors with a great opportunity to engage the students in the learning process rather than focusing mainly on the content...

To me, conventional environments mean stand-up classrooms, perhaps augmented by various audio-visual tools such as overhead projections, videos, audio presentations, etc. In the dynamic learning environments students are not limited to a fixed clock time in which interactions between the student and instructor and among his/her classmates occur. With recorded chat sessions and other materials, the student can review these as often as he/she would like. Unless there is some "fancy equipment" for the instructor to record classroom activities, reviewing classroom activities does not happen in a conventional environment, and the student must rely on having taken good notes.

With asynchronous discussion boards, asynchronous group projects, and course materials available at any time for the student, he/she can learn whenever and however it suits him/her. With email and IM, students can get questions answered in a reasonable amount of time and, I have found, that often students will ask questions by email that they probably would not ask in a classroom setting because of fear of embarrassment in front of their classmates.

In a dynamic learning environment, the student has more control over his/her learning pace and modality. A wider variety of modes of learning can be presented in a dynamic learning environment. These include asynchronous audio, video, text, hypertext, interactive chats (which can be more informal than lectures), blogs and discussion boards, group projects, and other resources. The student is limited only by his/her interest in learning.

Hi Cecil,
Yes, in a dynamic learning environment there is much more selection for students and opportunities for instructors. With conventional delivery, there can be dynamic aspects if, as you say, technology such as screen capture or interactive white boards are used. However, these would be used in conjunction with "back end" technology that provides on going discussion and interaction through synchronous or asynchronous connections.

The dynamic learning environment differs greatly from the conventional environment in that it is self-directed by the learner. Following the constructivist theory of learning the learner would be responsible for their own learning (with the necessary levels of scaffolding offered as needed). That is, they would have to construct their own meanings and apply their own knowledge in order to make the learning meaningful and relevant. Student interest as well as motivation would be greatly increased using that method.

Student possibilities are also endless in terms of the time needed for instruction or learning. For instance, they would not necessarily need to be present in a classroom from 6 to 9 to learn key concepts. Instead, they can learn those concepts at their own pace; using their own methods and their own time. Students can take ownership of their own learning and processes.

Conventional environments entail teacher-directed and determined activities, learning, etc. which does not give much consideration to a student-centered learning approach. With dynamic learning environments the student would assume more control over the course content, methods, etc. Essentially, students function as a community where they offer support to each other in the learning process. It also results in great levels of collaboration and dialogue which are again essential for effective learning.

Yes, Dianne, and the role of the instructor as you say changes, however, remains vital in the process.

Well, I have been doing this for a few years now and have seen major differences between the two. In a conventional environment, people can become dependent and figure out easier ways to make it through the course without learning what they should. That is not to say that this is not possible in the hybrid or dynamic environments, however, if this does happen, it is likely because the instructor is not paying attention and doing what they should. There should be no where to hide in this world.

When people ask me whether it is easier to do an online class I tell them, heck no. There is much more accountability and personal attention. I know every one of my students and they are forced to interact with myself and their colleagues if they want a passing grade.

The real advantage of this dynamic environment is that it truly appeals to the younger generation and their likes and dislikes when it comes to interacting. The short attention span and communicating in the virtual world has become quite normal and expected for many of these folks. I have however had many people in their 50's and 60's who have adjusted just fine. It is just another adjustment and if you try and get the proper support, you will be fine.

My comments, any others?

I really agree with your comments here, Bryan, particularly about "hiding". A huge benefit to any Internet-based learning environment is the "published" nature of everything that happens. Students can be recognized immediately and, therefore, missed when not there very quickly. Additionally, everything that is posted or exchanged is a published voice of the student. This really helps to raise confidence levels of students and to encourage students to see themselves as important contributors to the process.

I find this question to be very prejudicial in its wording. The opposite of "dynamic" is "static" not conventional. The opposite of a "conventional learning environment" is NOT a dynamic learning environment. All true learning environments are dynamic...it is required by the most basic (psychological) definition of learning, "change in behavior". (If we really want to move the older "conventional" teachers/instructors into more modern systems, does it benefit us to insult them with this sort of false dicotomy?)

So are we really asking what characteristics distinguish the modern, electronically-assisted, globally-connected learning environment from the older environment that had to depend on the technology of its day? In my mind, the essential difference is the instant access to information provided to both the instructor and the student. In the past, I would have to give a homework assignment to students to find the current inflation rate, now a student can have that information on their cell phones less than a minute after I ask the question. Unfortunately, they typically do not have the skill to determine if the information is valid, nor capability to distinguish a good source from a bad source for the information.

Thus, an essential part of any modern classroom must be teaching our students to be critical consumers of information, even the information the instructor provides. Skeptical inquiry must continue to be the rule...I say "continue" because, again, even in the "conventinal" classroom, the goals should have been building skeptical inquiry skills (it often was not) and we produced citizens who often accepted the commonly understood without challenge. Today, that problem is magnified by the instant access to a lot of bad information.

Yes good points, Thomas. I agree that conventional classrooms were and are not necessarily ineffective, just not as effective as technology-rich mediated environments of learning. The reason I say this is because the demands are different as you mentioned in one of your previous posts. We, therefore, as instructors must address those demands and not simply teach as we were taught even if we quite liked it. I actually attended high level research institutions both in the UK and Canada and while I am honored to have listened to some excellent minds, I would not describe an of the instructional experiences as dynamic :) It wasn't expected and I must say, I clued out a lot and learned how to stare without listening :) We know better now and we as teachers demand more from our students and the students demand more as they prepare for their future.

I think it can be summed up in two words: partnership and respect. The partnership must be between learner and instructor. This partnership must include respect for the way people learn the best. In this dynamic learning environment this combination allows the instructor and the student to use new, interesting (for the individual) and alternative ways of knowing. Some learn best from reading, some from self discovery, some from demonstrations, and some from various forms of experimentation and demonstration. In the dynamic environment all of these fit, unlike in the conventional environment.

Yes, Christopher, various learning styles and perferences of both teachers (who are also learners) and students can be addressed through the multitude of possibilities using new technology. How do you think this challenges current teaching methodology? How can techers ensure that the partnership is sustained throughout the process?

It challenges the one-size-fits all version of traditional education. Many times courses are not designed to embrace individuality in traditional instruction, in dynamic instruction courses can be. I think that this is a shift in mindset, and teachers will just need to learn as well how to maintain this partnership. It comes down to communication.

-Chris

Indeed it does - individuality is being addressed more and more through customized courses and customized programs and indeed customized diplomas or degrees...students are searching for what they need. I think teachers/instructors must get their heads around that and become proficient in managing networks of learners rather than the conventional idea of classes of students. Do you agree? If that is so, then how are institutions also challenged?

I totally agree and this is what I am writing my Doctoral dissertation on at this time! Illich (1971) in "Deschooling Society" made the same point that you make. We need to have learning networks rather than "schools." The problem that I am having, and I am totally stuck on right now is:

How do I as a vocational instructor open up the classroom to become a learning network while at the same time meeting a set of ridiculous state mandated standards. Why on earth does someone fixing HVAC equipment need to learn trigonometry? To manage a learning network, and to take part of a learning network you must have a valid outcome that motivates the learner. My students want to learn how to fix air conditioning. That's great, I can do that - but what do you do when the state requirements say that in order to fix a/c you must do this, this, and this, regardless of "this x 3" being applicable to the trade. If you don't do this, this, and this you can't fix a/c in this state and thus you cannot have a job.

If I can figure the answer to this out I may have a chance of finishing before my dissertation chair retires, or I run out of money - whichever comes first.

-Chris

Ah yes...pre-set standards!! I hear your pain :) It is my contention that higher education is now being compromised by the same standardization that has stiffled K-12 education for years. All higher education, vocational included, must retain its focus on critcal thinking, exploration of thought and higher order thinking in order for students to truly grow as learners.

So, what to do? Well, of course none of us can take on an entire system single-handedly, however we can at least make the decision that any standards we are expected to meet with our students are only a starting place rather than the ending point. The standards are the minimum rather than the maximum - just where the learning starts :) That keeps us away from standraized testng only as a means to evaluate learning.

I'm happy to hear you're working on your dissertation. A possible angle might be, "How can higher education reclaim its validity for students?"

I believe the short answer is that the essential characteristic of a dynamic learning environment is to have as complete as possible the total engagement of the student in the process of learning. The more the student is involved with their learning the better opportunity for a successful outcome.

Sign In to comment