Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Multi-tasking in the postmodern student.

Do you think the nature of on-line classes leads to a tendency to multi-task in more postmodern (Attention Challenged) students? I would rather they focused on the content than playing online games while reading course notes, watching videos, animations or taking a quiz.

And, more importantly, is there a way to prevent, or at least minimize it?

Michael,

Interesting question - I'm not really sure of the answer. In the end, we can judge them on their fulfillment of the objectives, regardless of their study pattern.

Jon

I am not sure either, however possible deliver the information that is not just a “read”, make the content more interactive so a more focused participation is required, I find the more I can get the students involved through interaction & participation as to just a “read” there seems to more involvement & comprehension

The nature of on - line classes will NOT lead to a tendency of multi-task if you know how write your request for an assignment that will require understanding theoretical concepts, applying them to real world experience, and referencing the paper, with references from peer reviwed journals.
Course materials can appear in the form on line games, quizzes. There is no harm in that. One should remember that each learner has different ways to absorb knowledge.

Great thoughts - thanks! - Jon

The answer can be obtained by surveying students. My belief is that online students multi-task about as much as their on-ground counterparts. I have had students tell me that they listen to audio components of the course while cooking supper, learning about aspects of composition while fulfilling other family obligations. When it comes to writing essays, however, I would assume that they focus their attention more on the project at hand.

Instructors cannot control the study habits of their students. Ultimately, however, their grades will reflect their efforts, and students are often motivated by their grades.

Great post - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Michael:

I used to work at an Institution in which the Instructor could shut off and/or lock the students key pad if it was found that they were distracting other students by their continual game playing and/or chatting while others were trying to listen.

It was often difficult as some would use their laptops to take notes so it was not known if they were chatting and/or taking notes.

I never actually shut off and/or locked a computer (we provided lap-tops to each student) but did remind students to be respectful of others trying t listen in a typical on-ground session.

Kim

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Hello Michael,

I don't think that online classes "make" a person multitask more, I think that those who are taking online classes - especially the modern or "younger" generation are already multi-tasking and it's easier for them than someone who is a more traditional student.

Toni

Hello All,

It would be ideal if all of our students were to focus 100% of their attention on our classes, but that doesn't happen. We can't be in their homes, but you can post an opening note in your class with suggestions for effective study or time management techniques. I had a scheduled phone appointment with a student to review her final project, and her kids were interrupting frequently, so I politely told her that it would be best to schedule a play date or ask a friend to keep them entertained with a movie while we spoke. She later e-mailed to tell me that her neighbor's teenage daughter comes over two hours a day to entertain her children so she can work uninterrupted. Sometimes they just need someone to make a simple suggestion.
My other thought is that if their work does not suffer, it's not a problem. I completed my M. Ed with a 4.0 between doing laundry, maintaining the house, planning a wedding, working full time and volunteering. More often than not, I would be on the phone and reading, folding towels while listening to a class lecture or picking flowers while writing a paper. It's important to remember that your online students may not all be inexperienced in education; many are professionals with a long list of accomplishments, and may already have completed other degree programs. Our culinary program has seen a retired heart surgeon, the dean of mathematics from a local university and a millionaire cattle rancher. It's OK with me if they want to complete their online work while otherwise occupied!

Carolyn,

Very insightful post.

Thanks!

Jon

Life in general requires multitasking and the ability within ourselves to siphon in/out what is most important at that moment. So in a way, we are helping the students develop an important soft skill to success by challenging them not to act as if nothing else is going on at the moment, but to create a workable solution so that they can meet the course objectives.

To me this course is easier than some other courses that I have taken and I have been able to talk with coworkers and check with questions that I have through the internet while accessing the course. Other courses that I have taken that have a chat time I can do other things while waiting for responses. I guess it depends on the learner. Whether you can multi-task or not would probably depend on your success with certain courses. My suggestion is to not take a course that requires multi-tasking if you cannot multi-task. Maybe an asynchronous course would be better for someone who cannot multi-task so they can not have to chat at the same time as others are chattinh to keep up, etc.???

Today's online classes can be engaging, without demanding a students full attention. Again, the only criteria to be met is whether or not the student mastered or met the learning objectives. In a traditional classroom, activities that are not class centered can be distracting, but not so with online learning (not chats or webconferencing).

I would agree with this. One of the advantages of an online environment is that is allows students to work in comfortable surroundings. If they fulfill the objectives should their study patterns really matter?

I agree to a point. Many students multi-task while taking online courses. But, some learners can adequately learn in that type of situation because we are a multi-tasking society.

Some software does allow you to lock the screen until the student submits their assignment.

I also agree that the online course objectives can be achieved by the student regardless of how the student chooses to get there.

I like this suggestion. A lot of our training has focused on how to help students be successful and posting tips like this would put it at the forefront for them that they may benefit from focusing on the task at hand during class time.

I agree with some of the other posters. Many of the students have spent their formative years with computers, smart phones, IPOD's, etc. They are accustomed to balancing multiple inputs; they may need them to some extent. I can't relate, being another generation, but I can see how my 17 year old son works and he often has multiple things going at once.

Sign In to comment