Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Multiple instructors and one currculum

The course I teach has 4 instructors currently. We continue to tweak the material together, but have never entered into a significan re-design. I wonder what this looks like as a collaborative process.

I'd use a wiki. That way everyone can work on it and not have to be in the same location. It is also a fuid process.

Susan

I am not sure about multiple instructors! It might be a challenge for me...we will see.

I am totally struggling with this discussion. I have no part in creating the online course I lead. As part of this training, I am required to post to the discussion forum. After reading all the discussion threads, I have nothing to add. Sorry!

Development or review of a course that is taught by more than one instructors would present some unique factors. I agree that wikis could be used to help in design. Online instructors may be anywhere in the world, for a "face to face" approach, I would suggest using one of the online meeting program sites or my preference Skype.

Maybe trying to set aside a specific amount of time weekly or monthly to dedicate to collaboration between the multiple instructors either via instant messaging, online conference software, chat rooms etc. to touch base and if/when possible meet face to face. It could be on a regularly occuring basis or on an as needed basis.

Do you teach an online course? How would you change your course to make it better?

I think it's important to separate what is required for the course from what is part of each instructor's academic freedom to teach. The core topics, syllabus, and learning objectives need to be consistent, but I don't believe that there is one "right" way to teach a course. I think that each teacher has her/his own teaching style, and the materials must reflect that style if the students and teacher are going to come to a consensus on learning.

Very good point. Each instructor has a way of getting info to the student, online or traditional classroom.

How can an instructor be sure all students are focused to the various activity in a short-timed online course? What are the clues(midway)?

Knowing this may allow time for addressing the situation. Surveys maybe!

Maureen,
Communication is key. The instructor should send an email to each and every student at the start of class. This is a good way to get to know the students and who has a lot on their plate. When you see one not responding, another email or even a phone call can help.

Shelly Crider

I agree. Communication is key. That initial email to a student to let him/her know that the train has left the station, can be the difference between a drop and a successful completion.

Susan,

I like your recommendation of using a wiki. A wiki would allow for quicker and more timely changes and corrections to be made. It would afford us with the opportunity to for all of the instructors to collaborate without the need for us to be at the same place at the same time. We have busy schedules!

One potential problem that I see with using the wiki is making sure that someone who has an understanding of instructional design be responsible for deciding which changes to keep and which ones to get rid of. Who is responsible for the final changes in your organization?

I've recently been through a curriculum modification with multiple instructors. It helps to have meetings and share thoughts on the course materials. Discuss what has worked best and what feels clunky within the classroom. I found that sometimes it wasn't necessarily the content but the way that it was presented that caused it to feel off. I really enjoy collaborating with other instructors!

Jennifer,
Collaboration is wonderful. We ask our students to do group projects....it is important to work with our peers as well!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment