Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online quizzes

I think on line quizzes are a good tool for the students to check if they get the information that they need to learn

Indeed! I agree! online quizzes are good for self-evaluation.

As to online quizzes, I do have a concern about using questions from the text's test bank. They provide 200 questions for each of the 16 chapters, and so this will give me an opportunity to ask questions that require consulting with the textbook, but are the type of question I would not want to use for the mid-term or the final. I avoid questions with dates or answers too close to each other, as I want my students to gain the broad ideas and themes of anthropology rather than minutia. However, I do want them to have some idea of timelines, etc., such as when primates evolved and the first humans appeared on the scene. The quiz questions give me that opportunity to help my students focus on those ideas. However, just as in preparing for this term's live class, and selecting take-home quiz questions, I am concerned that I am violating protocol by using the test bank. Even though I may never use these questions for exams, they will still be floating out there. However, I am not so inclined to produce 100 of my own questions. Any thoughts on the ethics of this? (For the mid-term and final, I use an average of 15 questions per chapter, or about 7% of the total.)

I believe the type of course dictates the need for a "quiz" assessment. Standard multiple choice or T/F quizzes do not always work well in all types of classes.

Exactly. There are times when you really need to know how a student can write.

Quizzes are great for boosting a student's confidence and self esteem knowing that they actually did learn the material. One thing that I find not good is that they will almost always have their textbook in front of them looking up the answers so do they really ever get the information they need? Or do they just look in the book for all the answers?

Without face to face interaction there is a lot we don't know about students. So at least seeing how they can write and put sentences together gives us another avenue of how they are progressing.

Yes I agree Mervat. It's a great way for them to monitor their learning progress.

Sign In to comment