Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PowerPoint

I'm wondering if in addition to flat PPT presentations if we should add audo.

Not only should audio be included but other types of media such as video clips should be an important part of a ppt presentation.

I agree that video clips could and should be added to power points. In my experence students need a change in what they see in a pp. Standard pp's have been over used and students get bord if there isn't new techiques applied.

I use captivate to incorporate audio into the ppt presentations to add clarity to bullet-points.

Audio does help to reinforce the importance of the slides since not all of them are equally important.

Students like to know which of the information on the slides have value and which are simply to reinforce a particular concept so audio does help in this regard.

Do you think the power points need an audio portion that reads the points of the slide to the viewer? Would this help keep the student's attention and help them to be more engaged?

Students get bored rapidly when there is little change in pace in a course. This is especially true with online classes. I believe the best method is to include a variety. Put yourself in the student's position and see if you'd be bored.
LC

It helps the instructor to have variety as well.

I agree
My student often complain about the slides becoming boring.

No I think the audio input should be used to express the importance of the topics.

No, as a current student of online courses, I use slides more as a get the information and go. I would not listen to the audio, I would just read it for myself. In regards to audio in the ppt slides, I think video is more captivating. Students would find that more interesting.

What about MP3 files?

MP3 files can be used for online learning. I have used MP3 files to further explain a difficlut concept. Students can download them and replay them without having to go onto the course.

Excellent. There are many media items to use....even YouTube!

In addition to audio videos should be incorporated to PowerPoint presentations to captivate the students attention and help them engage in the topic.

Videos are specifically important to them. Many students have a better interpretation of what they have seen than what they have read.

There are many programs out there that can enhance powerpoints to make them audio as well.

Hello Shelly,

I think video, including YouTube, would greatly enhance student experiences with online learning. This adds to blended learning techniques for adult learners.

Although I want to incorporate video into my PowerPoint presentations, I am worried about copyright laws. Can we use YouTube videos in our online courses if we did not create them?

Stephen W. Volz

We all like a little mix up when we are studying!! YouTube is a great break and can be educational!

I agree! YouTube has wonderful clips for Medical Terminology that are funny and helpful! It is always great to try and make something fun while learning something new.

I think that adding fun video clips or YouTube video clips on the subject being learned is a great way to break the monotony and also demonstrate and reinforce the topic being learned.
Also, some creative thinking/discussion on certain topics such as:
"do you think there is link between cell phone usage and cancer?" while learning about the cells. I think trying to link learning with our daily activites makes it real, and interesting rather than reading statistical material from a book, which can be very boring.

Sign In to comment