Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FACE Time

Has any on used the Apple program face time with students that can not make it to class? I used it the other week for a student who was out with pink eye. It was like she didn't even missed class.

I have not heard of this technology, Jeremy...do you have a link? It sounds great :)

I would love to know the name of the program used. Now, I have used Skyp before.
The web is a wonderful tool.

This is a great tool for those students who need in circumstances like the one you mentioned. However, I would be wary of making this too much of an option and students using this as a stand in for actual in class time.

Can you expand on what your mean, Chelsea? Not sure which you find would be too much of an option for students and I would love to hear more of your ideas on this...thanks.

I am interested in learning the name of this program. I had a student out with pneumonia; this would have been very helpful.

I invite responses to Vanessa on "FACE time". Specifically from those who have benefited from the use of this technology with students. Thanks!

I've used face time in the class room. if the labs are properly equipped it works great. t=The ipad lab we have set up allows us to develop and test content remotely. a good deal of the students do the bulk of the work from home.

Miguel,

Yes! The purpose and outcome of face-to-face meetings changes and the autonomy of the learner increases ...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have not used that specific application but my university allows us to use a similiar platform during our chats, live or otherwise. Makes you feel like you are right there.

Lori,

Yes, these "real time" connections are critical for hybrid and fully online learning and help increase the dynamics of the environment.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I'm just beginning to use Skype and looking at how to use it in the classroom. I am, also, exploring other technologies, such as FaceTime. This is indeed a great way for students to keep up if they are out because of an illness.

Tuwaner,

Yes, and to "blend" the learning environment. The real time remote connections will expand the learning and connectivity which in turn will elevate the engagement.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Since I teach entirely online, I had to think about this one for a moment. I have noticed the FaceTime app on my phone, but I've never tried it. Since activity during synchronous learning has to be recorded in the classroom for grading and accreditation purposes, I don't think this is something that I could use in Live Chats, which gets me thinking about other practical uses. This could possibly work out very well during office time to help literally see a student's work in order to discuss their next step(s) in the assignment. From your experiences, would something like this be possible?

Alaina,
Yes, your idea would work well and additionally, consider using FaceTime as a synchronous "tutorial" tool for online students. There is also another application called "Voice Thread" which would help as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

How does one set this up in classroom?

Randa,
Face Time would be a technology to use in different spaces not in the same space.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Oh, this is a great idea! I currently use BB Collaborate, and I have the occasional student who would like to appear via webcam. However, the bulk of students simply log in with their names. This would add another layer to the online component. I will definitely implement this tool.

Stacie

I haven't used FaceTime but I used Adobe Connect for classes all the time and it is great for showing complex concepts. I typically teach software related courses so I do demonstrations on Connect and students can follow along as I do the demo.

Justice,
I like to make sure there is a real time connection built into every online course and online components into every on ground course - this blended!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment