Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online instructor approachable

In one of my online teaching experiences, instructors were required to call all students during the first week of class. (We were given a long distance card to use).

Do you think that calling students would increase the retention rate?

Indeed I do. It is a way to connect with the student. I think the student will feel that the instructor went out of their way to get to know the students.

I think calling the students during the first week is a great idea. It gives the instructor and students a chance to get to know each other and/or address any concerns the students might have. I agree that the retention rate may increase if students have the opportunity to speak directly to their instructors.

Marie

Love that! There are other venues out there such as Skype and other products that will allow you to do a conference call with the students for free! You have to love freebies!

I think this strategy would raise retention rates. First, the student will feel like their success is indeed important to the instructor. It establishes a connection early between the instructor and student. The student will be engaged early and motivated to ask questions that may be a roadblock to success. An engaged student is likely to finish the course.

This is a great idea! We have a place on the discussion board for everyone to introduce themselves. I think that a personal call would be a good addition to this general introduction section.

Makes everyone feel connected!

I like the Skype idea. Great way to integrate technology with the classroom, too.

Very well stated!

I think it depends. Some students appreciate a phone call while others consider it a bother and would prefer to simply do their work and contact you only when they have an issue.

At one of my schools we called all students but after a year of doing so, we dropped the practice based on students indicating that they do not want to be called at home.

I had been taking classes online for an MFA. I took four classes before deciding that I preferred on-site studio leaning to online studio learning. One of the reasons was that the difference in instructors was vast. Of the four classes I had, two instructors were great. They were responsive, responding within a reasonable time frame, and were open to out of the box thinking on assignments, which I think is important when not a lot of direction is given at times. The other two were not so hot. One did not ever respond when you sent him a question. The fourth was very strict about how you presented the assignments, regardless of what you wanted to get from the class. (Not everyone expects the same outcome from a class.)

This being said, I don't think that the instructor needs to initiate communication with the student. A simple welcome email with their contact info and hours is sufficient. I feel it is more important for the instructor to respond to student initiated communication.

Oh so true.....the instructor can make or break an online class.

JoAnn,

I think that it depends. If you and the student talk for a while and really get a good feel for each other, then, I think that it might would help because they would be more apt to come to you for help. However, if you just call and say a few words just because you are required to do so, then, I don't think that it would help at all.

Sincerely,

Vince

I have not heard this before, it is an interesting idea. I think it would be useful in classes that are strictlky online with no live chat component, to get the students to feel they know the instructor. I am teaching a class with live chat two hours a week and while the students cannot speak, they can interactively type and I think that gives us an opportunity for more personal interaction.

I have only taken one online class, now in my second, and I already see a difference in teaching styles between the two instructors. I my current class, the instructor give examples of papers, such as case analysis, but doesn't supply clear guidelines on the elements; you are left to infer them from the example. I find this frustrating as a student crunched for time. Providng an outline/guidance, then an example, is much more helpful. That being said, the instructor is often in the classroom and provides good commentary and tips on assignments, which is helpful and makes me feel connected.

As a student....I love feedback from an instructor and not just the normal...I like this or I agree.

Not necessarily. I believe someone should be responsible that students complete it by the time given. Similar to thsese FA{SCs seminar tehy give you a completion date.

very good point...we as instructors are held accountable as well.

In my experience, calling students is the last option unless there is an emergency. The reasons being that it maintains the professionalism between the student and the instructors and ethical lines will not be crossed. I do not believe that calling students would increase the retention rate because if a student is motivated he or she will stay in the course.

What about conference calls...would a week one conference call help set the pace of the class?

Sign In to comment