Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Copy Write

I think online courses may be more prone to plagiarism the on-site based courses.

Any ideas on how you would keep that problem down?

Jimmie, yes it is true that folks feel more freedom in plagiarizing the work of others in an online class.

Using software packages such as "turnitin" help to eliminate this issue and also discussing it at the onset of the class, along with the penalties associated with it, does tend to help a lot!!

Shelly,
I have found that multiple methods work best for me. While I post course expectations, I also post a separate integrity statement. In addition, I create announcements and e-mail to students talking about the link between academic integrity and work-world integrity.
Richard Hough

I both agree and disagree with your statement, because I think that today, we are seeing more plagiarism both onsite and online. Part of is the ease of access to information and how quickly one can copy and paste it to a Word doc. Part of it is ignorance about proper citation (fair use doctrine etc.) and part of it is the pressure to perform (do well in order to get that DEGREE). Turnitin and SafeAssign are just some of the technologies available that I use in my courses (onsite and online) and an explanation of an acceptable score, because realistically if they are doing research they will have to include this in their writing. I also typically bring in a writing professional who can review APA/MLA or whatever the university is using to decrease the chances that they are ignorant about what is acceptable and what is plagiarism.

Marilu....good point. Internet makes things so easy to find work that is already done.

Awesome job Richard. The more we post, the more the students will see that this is important!

Copyright is a different subject.... All students - whether online or on-the-ground need to learn about plagiarism and how to cite the work of others. We give our students access to SafeAssign which allows them an opportunity to check for plagiarism (or failure to cite) before turning a paper in for a grade.

Kassy,
Yes they do! So many do not know what plagiarism is!

Shelly Crider

Credit should always be given where credit is due.

Yes, so true but how do you stop it.

Sign In to comment