Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What a great technology!

I would just love to have access to an electronic white board. I was watching a lesson on youtube the other day about drawing Lewis dot structures. The lesson was fully understandable from the white board with no visualization of the intructor. It was fantastic and I am sure that the professor did not use nearly all of the capabilities.

Thanks for sharing that, Mariska. Do you have the YouTube link?

I must state I am a perpetual student. I can't gobble up enough new information to satisfy my interest about this topic. I too am excited about white board. I need to be able to use this technology for my students throughout 6/2012. I will access the youtube lesson. Thank you for your enthusiasm, it is contagious.

I, too think an electronic white board would be a great tool for use in my science classes. Unfortunately, our corporation does not acknowledge that YouTube videos can enhance the classroom experience in response to the questionable content that is published. I wish there were a similar online media to YouTube that dealt with only educational issues that would stand up to the standards of educational institutions in every aspect, while omitting the objectionable or frivolous content.
Another dream of mine would to be given the time at work necessary to learn most if not all of the capabilities of new media as it becomes available to the classroom. The one-hour informative Webinar is not sufficient for anything but skimming the rather broad surface of new innovations. With budget cuts on the increase, I fear that even the placement of much of the new technology will amount to little more than a selling point for the class, while not being utilized fully in the classroom instruction, thus frustrating both the students and the professors.

Ruth,

Very true...often new technology is purchased without full training for faculty which means it becomes irritating for everyone. Your question about the video server is something to discuss with your IT department - that is ask them their alternative to YouTube. I agree that instructor training should be adequate for the amount and extent of changes that are taking place with new technology. Most, however, use a trial and error-type of approach and explore technology with student groups. This works as long as students are aware of the testing of the technology. Usually, students provide great feedback and ideas that can improve the technology use.

Our institution has 2 Smart Boards boards that are seldom used. I have requested some training on how to use them because I have seen them used in the past and it was great. I think the students would really enjoy the interaction.

Kathy,

Yes, the students would benefit greatly - also vendors should provide ongoing training as the supporting software changes and includes increasing graphics and functionality

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I love whiteboard technology as well. I like that students AND instructors can use it. What is really fun to see is how 2 classes with the same content can be modified based on the individuals in the class. White board technology helps the students create and modify content that is meaningful to them.

Have you considered creating your own YouTube page, link the content to that page and have your IT group only allow access to that YouTube location? That is one way to address the inappropriate content issue.

Sign In to comment