Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Involvement in Online vs. Traditional Courses

Many students initially think that online courses are much easier than traditional in class courses. How can professors communicate to students the need for them to spend substantial time participaing in each online course?

Good question JoAnn. You really need to set your expectations right from the start. In you welcome letter give them an example of a week's timeline.

In many classes it can be expressed that there is a certain amount of time that should be applied for an online course. Clear instructions on what is sat and unsat particpation and input should be also defined at the start of the course

You got it Stephanie....Clear instructions....key to any instructions online.

I also think that group projects are a great way for students to engage in a class together. Also if you post your own thread each discussion answer instead of just replying to a professors thread. I know that helps me get more engaged in conversations. Also real life knowledge helps get people to know and relate to each other more.

This is true and you can bet that somewhere in your career you will have a team event!

Yes, it also teaches people how to work as a team if you might not be in the same area of the country or now a days even the world.

Oh so true. Education is truly world wide!

They think this as they do not travel and sit in a class for the allotted time required, so we need to explain to them you will not earn points unless you demonstrate participation of posting a minimum of three times per week, at least to two of your peers, for example. What do we think?

Nicely stated!

Is this because many online classes do not have tests? This has been the case at the three online schools where I teach. This may contribute to the attitude that online classes are easier--most students do not like to take tests.

Hi Joann --

I think one way is to communicate expectations as part of a syllabus or course expectations document students are provided as they enter a course. Alternatively this could also be communicated during an orientation session. Another way is by making assignments that are due each day of a topic week, which is an approach that should help students see that they are expected to be present in the course regularly.

Do any of these ideas resonate with you?

Debra

Sign In to comment