Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creatiive design of a course

How can the use of creative media enhance student learning?

Because it is hard to have a "hands-on" approach to an online classroom, I believe this is the best way to try this approach. Bringing creative media into an online setting can help students understand these processes better.

do you believe this will endorse critical thinking as well?

I think people would be more interested and more engaged. While getting into it more, I think people will think about what they are trying to say and getting deeper into their conversation.

Excellent!! That is just what we want as instructors!

From my experience, it seems that students retain more information from audio or video material than from written text. They tend to pay more attention when they are watching a presentation and/or listening to someone speak, and they may tend to skip over words when reading. This type of format also makes the content more "exciting", and less dry.

Many online students are visual learners.

I would offer that certain generations (more than other generations) require a more creative media. If we add the attention-getting shows to our programs, we retain our students' interests best. Are such things essential? No, but they greatly enhance educational opportunities.

Good point....know your audience!

Good point.. accommodating different learning styles is much easier in an online course than in an on-the-ground course.... We can incorporate the same content in different format for students to choose.

This subject is of great debate and concern for me and my colleagues. As a matter of fact, it was the focus of my Master's thesis regarding the Digital Divide in rural communities. When we teach our students with distance learning classes, virtual learning had better be creative and stimulating or the investment by rural school districts may be lost. With this challenge in mind I spend an inordinate amount of time searching for and incorporating multimedia that stirs both the mind and the soul. Otherwise, I feel that I might as well teach from a textbook, and frankly that notion is now totally unacceptable!

Deborah,
So many people forget that rural students may have different resources than city students.

Shelly Crider

Yes, that is the beauty of technological advancements!

Creative media that is completely engaging enhances student learning by nature of the engaging qualities. In an on-ground environment, there can be many distractions within the classroom. Online, the learner can control those distractions and perhaps, become more easily engaged.

Amy,
I like how you discuss control. The student is in control of what they do online!!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment