Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Less than technologic technology students...

I have been working diligently to use more technology in my courses at a local technical college for the spring term. I have been very surprised at the number of students who are not as savvy as I expected and was told they were. I have had a ridiculous number of students who don't use their school email accounts to their advantage and who have difficulty understanding how to submit work electronically. Has anyone else had these difficulties? Are you pulling some of your non-traditional and economically depressed students by the nose into the blended environment?

Hello Mariska,

Some students are more of slow learners than others when it comes to technology, either because they find it difficult to learn and handle or they are not just interested in technology. They are your students either way. Be patience and teach them well to the best of their "learning abilities"

It happens to the best of us even at the PhD learning level. :) Believe me I seen it happen.

Mariska;

I fully agree with you on many students not being technologically savvy. I can’t say that it’s extensively contributed to “economical depression” as you stated, because I’ve observed inadequate technology skills at all ages, cultures, backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. Additionally, I’ve found that there is really no definitive indicator of which students will lack technology proficiency, because of this diversity. Consequently, the younger student that you might think would perfectly know how to navigate MS Word, may be the very student that cannot retrieve a “saved” document off of a hard drive, and you may have an older housewife, that hasn’t worked full time in years, that can navigate your virtual environment better than you can.

Because of the very large gap of technology proficiency, I really feel that online universities should take additional steps to assess all new students, identifying their level of technology aptitude. At that point, the incoming student may need additional resources and time to bridge the technology learning curve, until they reach a user ability that meets a pre-defined comfort-level of expertise. I’ve grieved many a day trying to assist an otherwise efficient learner with the course material, grasp the technology necessary to access the online learning materials. In the process, they may fall behind, triggering the normal reactions of becoming overwhelmed, frustrated, and hopeless, even to the point of withdrawing from the college.

So to answer your question, I do believe that we are all having this technology learning curve impact our courses, and our students’ successful outcomes, and many of us are pulling students “by the nose” through the courses, as you colorfully described it. I don’t know that there is a clearly defined solution to this dilemma, other that our continuing to remain fluid and versatile in our teaching methods, as well as not discarding of traditional methods. So don’t throw out that VCR just yet.  Let’s be a voice for our students, because sometimes you don’t know that you don’t know, until you find out that you don’t know. If I personally fuss and whine every time Microsoft updates the Windows or Office software suites, when I’ve been immersed in progressive technology since I was a little girl, then I can only imagine the depths of the technology shock that students experience when they have successfully avoided technology for the past 20 years, and are now being “baptized by fire” into the full abundance of modern innovation.

Great points, Dray. Indeed, in my life time I saw the arrival of color TV, and I don't think I'm that old!! :) So the issue is not to imagine a day when every student and teacher will have access to and knowledge of every existing technology but that we create learning communities within which new technology can be explored and applied. We are all constantly moving ahead and learning more...

Nice ideas. I think the one about catch-up technology training for online colleges should not be limited to onlines'. We're using these tools for in-class courses and prospective students should be tested now for a preparatory technology course now, the same as Fundamentals of Math or Composition. Trying to boost the technology learning curve in the middle of a course needing it is so very difficult.

I agree that many studentes have to be pulled into the technology. What I have found is that the younger students, those who have been on computers all their life, know only a few ways of doing things. What we have to teach them is the many different ways of doing things. Teaching them the multi-use of technology is sometimes very hard and can cause the students pain. The problem is that their employer will what them to understnd the many uses of technology and we must try to teach that to all our students.

Charles,
Yes, all students who are prparing for today's workplace must be coached and encouraged to use technology, no matter how ich they dread it. Sometimes older students can be very open minded about technology, so it is not always age-related.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have noted a number of students who do not use the student e-mil accounts , but do respond to the personal e-mail accounts. Currently I send communications out to both until I get them accustomed to using the student e-mail account.

Kathy,

Absoluteky - using any and all available contact and communication methods means that the flow is as streamlined as possible.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

There is an assumption that all students now are digital natives.. that is,, they have grown up with all this technology therefore they should all know how to use it proficiently.. Obviously this is not the case. It's great to incorporate lots of different tools,, we just have to be sure we have tools that students can use...

Kassy,

I agree...not everyone has had the same access to technology, however, new technology has changed society so much that we must equip our students well for work and study in today's world. Have you heard the new "buzz word", "screenagers"? This is a descriptor of everyone (no matter which age) who is fascinated and obsessed with a screen - computer, phone, IPad, readers etc. Interesting...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I find that these situations instill a lot of fear and cause negativity or resistance to learn the new technology. At times it takes a little hand holding to get them through the initial use of a PC or online program to eliminate the fear.

In my opinion, mere technology in itself can’t make much differences in education. But a well-structured educational process taking place in institutions that can embrace technology to enhance that process, then technology may offer a huge advantage.

I am finding that for most students, the more interactive the learning the more enthusiastic the students are. I think instructors must be careful how and when to use different technologies -- a new technology must not be used just to use it, but its application must make sense and be useful to the learner.

Beverly,

Great point! Do you have a process you use for evaluation before implementation?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have assigned homework to students and given key terms and concepts via email and most folks use it just fine but a few always seem to have difficulty. We need to be mindful that everyone has different skill levels with technology. That being said students must come out of the educational system with technology skills they will be immediately expected to use in the workplace. So we need to be coaches/mentors of technology as well as users of it.

Lynne,
Well said - yes, technology use is really no longer an option if employment is the goal. I agree, however, with your comment that we do need to give time for those less used to it than others. Good point.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Mariska,
I have found it quite frustrating. Much of the time it is not the group I expect that have issues - non-traditionals and economically-challenged.

I feel as though many students know how to use technology to chat with friends (Facebook) and to play games but have never been taught fundamental things like e-mail, doing attachments, etc. I set up a lot of telephone call appointments to try to walk individual students through these steps because I just don't know what else to do. It does get frustrating when one has multiples sections.

I agree. Again the teacher and students interacting in their classroom community (online or face to face) is most important. I also love that technology forces students to take an active role in learning instead of just a teacher lecturing model.

The digital divide is a real thing. As instructors, it's important to support and help where possible, but we cannot also serve a full time help desk. I think it's important that universities also recognize how much time trouble-shooting tech issues can be for instructors, which can take away from our other teaching role.

Valerie Thompson

Sign In to comment