Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cell phones in the classroom

I have found cell phones in my class to be more of an obstruction to learning than a help. Is there a way I can make attention while I am in class?

Jerry,

Cell phone usage, unless used for instructional purposes are a huge problem for educators. I have copied a couple of articles that may be of assistance.

http://educationtechnews.com/policy-changes-cell-phone-use-in-class/
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2014/06/26/cellphones-can-help-hinder-learning-say-teachers-and-students

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

I agree that cell phones can be a problem, but we also have to realize that this generation of students have had a cell phone since they were a young age. I incorporate cell phones sometimes to let students look up information. I guess it depends on the class

Bob,

Thank you for sharing. Yes, it does depend on the class, I also allow students to utilize their phones for research purposes- it engages them in the conversation and they feel more comfortable participating when they have information to share. I do stress the importance of the source, and that is part of the discussion when sharing findings in class.

Theresa Schmitt

Great topic of discussion.

Cell phones are a mystery- at a times. If we are engaging the students properly, cell phone usage in the classroom will not be an issue.

If I see cell phone usage occurring in my classroom, I adjust my learning format for that class. First, I will begin asking each student a question in a round robin format- 1 minute limit per student. That way, the students put their cell phones away.

Second, I will have the class break-up into groups and have them complete a group activity in which each group member has a part.

David,
Round Robin is a fantastic way to keep the students attention. We definitely do not want students turning to their cell phone out of boredom or be distracted by text messages and social media notifications.

Theresa Schmitt

One of the problems I encounter during class is depending on the subject how can my lecture (of boring material) compete with a smart phone. The school I teach at is in pushing the incorporation of tech in the classrooms. As of now we are finding it difficult to monitor the usage of the students phones in order to ensure they are using the tech for learning and not social entertainment.

Cell phones can be one of the most distracting thing but yet one of the most essential thing. I like the idea of the round robin and the ways to keep students engaged rather than them checking their phone every five mins. Yes cell phones are a great way to research and learn things but it also has cons to it. Cell phone use in our classrooms is against policy as students can take pictures of the test and so fourth. With the change in technology I am sure there will be other ways cell phones can become a positive rather than a negative in the classroom.

Merrill,

I find I am constantly walking the room, engaging with the students, keeping them on their toes. I will say something if I see a phone screen open to Facebook rather than perhaps researching a topic, as assigned.

Theresa Schmitt

Hi Theresa,
I have used cell phones for research in a course that I teach. I had my students engage in a cooperative learning activity. I did this after doing a lesson on how to determine the reliability of a site. I think that is important to teach the reliability and responsibility information before trying this out. The students were engaged and enjoyed using this technology. In addition, the research was very well done.
Mary

Hey Jerry,
I understand your pain. I instruct my students to put all technology away until the end of class. I don't want to see it at all.
At the end of class is when I will have them take their phones out and we will do a review of the material using Kahoot. It is an engaging and reliable program that the students at in my HS and college classes enjoy.

I also have a no cell phone policy within my classroom. I do make my lectures available online, some students will bring their tablet or laptop to follow along, however 90% of cell phones I see out are texting or on social media, not accessing anything relevant to class.

I teach English Foundations and keeping my students engaged is often a challenge. Finding appropriate tech resources to use is a continual quest, especially with cell phones. Thank you for suggesting Kahoot.

Jean,

I came across a couple of great journaling app this week you may want to check out for your class- http://penzu.com/ and http://diaroapp.com/
If you require a creative journal, this may be a great option.

Best,
Theresa Schmitt

I have found cell phone usage in the classroom to be the biggest distraction of our time. I allow them on thier person on vibrate to take an important call outside the classroom if necessary, but I don't want to see them out or in thier laps. If I do, I ask them to hand it over until the end of class and that is the end of the story. I find it rude, distracting to the student's learning retention and annoying at this point. Let me tell you how I really feel!!!!

I have found cell phone usage in the classroom to be the biggest distraction of our time. I allow them on thier person on vibrate to take an important call outside the classroom if necessary, but I don't want to see them out or in thier laps. If I do, I ask them to hand it over until the end of class and that is the end of the story. I find it rude, distracting to the student's learning retention and annoying at this point. Let me tell you how I really feel!!!!

I teach machine shop class. Students are using cell phone as a calculator(They do have calculator) or research for material and feed and speed calculation.Class time I try to stop not to texting or other thing.I make them understand when they should use cell phone.But still get problem.

I agree. I don't think we should throw out the proverbial baby with the bath water. Cell phones are incorporated into the students moment by moment life. I think allowing the students to use their phones in a constructive way, i.e. looking up information, calculating, recording, etc. can help. It seems to me it can also be a distraction to disallow phone usage in the classroom.

ReplyI    to Bob Troxler's post: I agree the cell phone can be used as a tool in the class room for, looking up information, and possibly used to calculate.However this should be done in moderation, or it can become a hugh distraction for the class.

Sign In to comment