Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Writing assignments are hard sometimes.

I teach in a practical nursing program and my students are not required to have any English classes (other than having passed HS or GED and an entrance exam). Some of them have horrible writing skills, but re-teaching English is not in our class, nor do I have time to teach them grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. It is a shame that they don't learn or retain this from high school education.

Elizabeth,
Good point. There are many resources that you can post in your class to possibly help the students.

Shelly Crider

Elizabeth,

You are certainly not alone! I feel like this every time I have a new Cohort of college students.  I am truly shocked with how poor the writing skills are.  I keep saying, I am a science teacher, not an English teacher, and at times, I find myself teaching more grammar and spelling than I do actual scientific information. We have a new policy in place that students cannot hand in work to their professors unless they have had their information looked over at least once from our school writing lab.  Granted they are getting help with their grammar and spelling which they should know, but it makes my life easier by being to concentrate on grading on content and not spending additional time with tons of APA errors.

Sign In to comment