Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology = no hard or soft skills

Technology today has taken away all hard and soft skills. Younger students are so socially grounded "behind a screen" that when human interaction takes place, the student almost "freezes" and is unable to act / perform / learn. Technology today has taught students that information does not have to be learned and stored... because you can access this information in seconds with an internet search. Teachers have new struggles to overcome with teaching hard and soft skills as technology has given students an "excuse" on why NOT to learn.

Amy,

This is quite true. According to "the 'Gen Y Workplace Expectations' study, by American Express and Gen Y research firm Millennial Branding, finds that Gen Y workers have an overall positive view of their managers, believing they can provide experience (59%) and wisdom (41%). On the other hand, managers have an overall negative view of their young workers, saying Gen Y-ers have unrealistic compensation expectations (51%), a poor work ethic (47%), and are easily distracted (46%).

The study, based on survey responses from 1,000 Gen Y employees (ages 22 to 29) and 1,000 managers in American companies of various sizes and industries, concludes that this perception gap comes down to Gen Y's lack of certain 'soft' interpersonal skills, including prioritizing work, having a positive attitude, and good teamwork skills."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/study-reveals-expectation-gap-between-managers-and-their-workers-2013-9#ixzz3Dce74kSm

Added to the lack of interest in really learning, today's students feel the need to be constantly rewarded and praised. This is a symptom of our societal expectations. This is not having a positive effect in the workplace. It is incumbent on the instructor to find ways to motivate the students to want to learn. Enthusiasm for the field they are in and willingness to encourage the student through the difficult times in their classes goes a long way toward this goal.

I thought your point about the lack of interest in learning was very interesting. I had a manager from a previous career college say that, "Our students don't come here to get an education, they come here to get a job". I had to really think about what she said because that really did seem to be the prevailing attitude and I think it may be one of the main differences between vocational schools and traditional academia.

Sign In to comment