Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diversity

It is almost impossible not to encounter diversity in the workforce today, this is why it is very important for all corporations to provide Diversity training as it will benefit both staff and customers. Too many times we tend to stereotype cultures because of what has been projected by the media and this is the belief that must be changed in the mindsets of those that represent any corporation. It's almost like the "first impression" you get from the "person at the front desk." We are in the business of changing futures changing lives not only for our students but for our faculty as well.

Much of our stereotyping is rooted in our upbringings. Often this is a cycle passed down from generation to generation by attitudes expressed at home, sometimes negatively, and that must be broken. Today our world is much more diverse and we need to teach our children, students and fellow colleagues that we are accepting of all cultures and ways of life. I agree that Diversity training will benefit many, but it also goes deeper than a class on cultural differences. We should take every opportunity we have to travel and experience other cultures, share our experiences with others, and create lesson plans that have students research other cultures or beliefs, which will help open up worlds to them that they may not have been exposed to. I always enjoy having students in my classroom that are from other countries and engaging them in conversations when possible that bring a different take on the topic of discussion. Respect and tolerance shown in the classroom will help students understand that Diversity is valued and hopefully rub off on them to carry into their future personal and business world.

Stacy,
Change is everywhere and it is hard to avoid especially when it is other people's lives you are dealing with.
Philip Campbell

Amy,
As long as we keep in mind that sometimes we are engrossed society and what we feel the majority may not, we can move forward. We are all different.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment