Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

positive attitude

I believe that having positive attitude is the key to instructing students. What is your favorite soft skill?

The use of computers and the mature adults

Some of the baby boomers may have difficulty using computers and may require more from the teachers.

Soft skills

I really hadn't disquished between the difference of soft or hard skills; however, it's interesting to see how your soft skills are a vital part of your success.

Guest Speakers

I am an instructor at a Technical Trade School. When we bring local employers in to talk to our students, they are focusing on the importance of soft skills. It is important the students hear this from future employers and not just from their instructors.

Most Important Soft Skill

At my school the most important soft skill is being a team player. We have the High 5's which all faculty needs to get on board because it brings a unitified student body.The High 5's are: Attendance, Positive Attitude, Dress Code, Respect, and School Spirit. We have incentives in place to motivate the students to acheive. As a faculty we work together on community projects such as Relay for Life, March of Dimes, Glenning for the World, Food Banks, Animal Shelters, etc.to demomstrate how to give back to the community. Lots of time students really get involved in the projects… >>>

communicating professionally

I find that students have trouble communicating at a professional level. Talking to a fellow co-worker or boss or customer is totally different than hanging out with your friends. Many younger people today don't know how to "change" to a professional.

Listen to students problems without judging

It seems to me that one way to establish an excellent rapport with students is to really listen to them. Let them express frustrations and what they need. Avoid jumping to conclusions and judging students' views based on the teacher's values and needs. If you earn students' respect then you give back inkind.

Soft Skills

The biggest thing I've found that has helped improve my soft skills is recognizing when I'm getting close to "overload" from whatever is going on and giving myself a break. Even if you can normally maintain a positive attitude and manage your stress, we all have bad days, and sometimes the best thing you can do is give yourself 10 or 15 minutes to decompress and recover before jumping right back into the fray.

People Skills

I never full thought out the differences between soft skills and hard skills until this course showed me how each can be effective tools.

Instructors

Instructors definatly need good people skills especialy for those of us who are dealing with student form different geographical areas. Many of these student are coming from rough neiborhoods and they were never taught people skilss as instructor put of are wole is to educate,and motivate if our people skills is bad the students will most likely do the same.

People Skills

Do you think education can teach people skills? I think people skills comes fromt he way we were brough it includes morals and values. for example if we grew up watching our mother constantly fighting with people we will most likely do the same.

Planning Effective Writing Assignments

I teach several courses which require a writing assignment and just like the lesson stated it is very difficult to come up with effective assignments. With the access to information on the internet even some of my best students are tempted to plagiarize. I have found that some of my creative writing assignments produce their best work and allow me to critique their writing alone with little threat of plagiarism. I am wondering what others do to reduce the use of unnamed outside sources besides just the general code of conduct and threat of failure.

soft skills as it relates to coworkers

as an instructor I find it very frustrating listening to coworkers complain about students or other instructors. Especially when they have no intention of doing anything to fix the problem. I liked that in this course it discussed that it is important to use soft skills and follow the chain of command when a problem arises.

Criticism

Almost always I accept criticism in a positive manner only if I am made aware of my mistakes and I am told in a manner that is respectful. I do take criticism negatively if I hear about it in a round about way or if I know it has no basis. I accept it when I hear of ways to improve myself as long as it is sincere and not malicious.

enhancing student's professional skills

How can you make your students passionate for reading more???

Dependent or Self-Directed Learner

What does it take to be a Self-directed Learner? My thoughts: - Believe in yourself - Compare yourself to your potential - Seek wisdom for the rest of your life - Embrace change - Choose your friends wisely

Why are people skills important in workplace?

Being a good listener is important for the understanding of student and co workers.Listening is an important tool to develop a good report with students and other staff members. It is good to be receptive toward others feelings when they express themselves. Helping others is a motivational tool in the school, because it increases the effort and morale for others in workplace.

Soft Skills

I have always taken pride in my ability to recognize my own emotions and those of others. Whether interacting with my students, or others outside the classroom. I try to be perceptive to not only to my own thoughts, feelings and language, but that of others as well and try to avoid conflict and manage the interaction so as to have a positive resolution for all parties involved.

Teaching Presentation Skills.

Students do prentations in front of the class,that helps to develop their communication skills.

Positive Attitude

I really like this subject on this course, as I think a positive attitude really plays a huge role in our everyday lifes. I like to speak in class about how important a Positive Attitude is essential especially in the workplace. A student can be the very best at homework, test taking, etc. but if they have a bad attitude it will not matter.