Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Causes of Stress

What are some general areas that you can identify as major stressors in your life/career? Are these stressors based upon logistical (organizational) factors, student needs, or college requirements? Develop a list of your stressors within these general categories or create additional categories based upon your personal needs.

Managing stress in the workplace especially in a school setting is crucial to students learning. When a student ask a ridiculous question you have to remind yourself that you were once a student and were very confused on a subject matter. Instructors are looked upon as authoritative leaders in their field. Instructors are always on and viewed by students even not being in the classroom. Also a component in managing stress can be from an instructor’s upbringing from their family. Another component can be an instructor’s personality being an introvert or extrovert, etc. also has a significant difference in the classroom. For instructors to correct this problem there are training stress seminars online, continuing educational stress workshops on-campus, stress management consultants, etc. There is help out there but instructor have to make the first step.

Regular class attendance or lack of is a major stressor for me. Often it is week 8 or 9 (our terms are 11 weeks) before I have a complete class.

Also, the fact that the number of my none teaching duties keeps increasing.

Gardening and riding motorcycles helps me deal with the stress in my life.

The areas of stress for me are honestly co workers complaining about changes, in some students it is the lack of desire (they have to be there for government reasons), and the lack of time. I am working personally on the time management issue and choosing to leave the break room when people complain. I do my best to engage every student and those that are there for other reasons I try to ge them to want to be there with positive encouragement and reinforcement of how a new career will change their lives.

Dear Dr. Read,

Without a doubt trying "to please" both the partner in a relationship, and the students in your classroom are two definite factors in creating STRESS. Secondly, meeting the requirements and demands of dministration is daunting and streeful as well. Thirdly, trying to find the time and money to squeeze in a break or vacation to ease the stress that one is going through.

All are constant demands that need a great deal of attention. Family and friends are also in the mix, and coming from a strong paternal Mediterranean family demands for attention are always in the forfront.

Keeping physically strong and retaining a positive attitude about life is also an extremely demanding position that we are also in. I think one of the most stressful positions I now face is the "coming of age"--RETIREMENT!!!!!

Do I have emough money saved?
Can I continue to work?
Should I sell my house?
Should I move into a retirement community?
Will we still receive Social Security payments?
I have health issues, should I collect disability?
Is New England too expensive to live in at an older age?
Loneliness?
Death, funeral expenses, grave site, buy now?

STRESS,STRESS,STRESS!!!!!

Smile and the world will smile with you. What's a little stress!! I've gotten this far, what's a few more years?

Bobby

I think that it can be very individualized what causes stress for each person...for me, I become overwhelmed and therefore feel stress when I over commit myself to to many projects. Knowing I will only be happy with my best effort I have learned to only say yes to as many things as I can truely due well and no to the rest.

Coworker complaints can make your work environment very stressful Rachel. It's one thing to share challenges but something very different to constantly complain about them. It's important to understand the impact that your coworkers have on others when they complain and to not become one of them.

Yes, instructors must take the initiative Lee. We are responsible for our time management capabilities. If we are not coping well with our task demands, it's important to reach out for help to become better.

My stresses at work are mostly a result of organizational factors. I can simply be an effective instructor while I am in the classroom with the students. Outside of class administrative changes in curriculum, policy, procedure and pay are the cause of my work related stress. I handle stress probably better than most because of my generally mellow personality but so many times I wish I could forget about the administrative stuff and just teach!

Sounds like your administration, students and fellow coworkers are lucky to have you Stephan. Some instructors are simply more adaptable to stress than others. Sounds like you are one of them!

What a nice overview Bobby. Sounds like you've really taken the time to diagnose your situation - past, present and future. Sometimes simply taking an inventory of your stressors can be a big step in the right direction. If you find that everything is manageable, great. If not however, focus on reducing, coping or eliminating the stress that doesn't work for you.

New teaching position
New materials
New course software
Beginning the class
getting to know the students learning habits
Setting up the class for the first time

I work for the same corporation and at the same location. I really could not have phrased this better. The reality of life is change. My percetion of change and any fear realted to it is hwat generates stress. Taking the time to process my thoughts and honestly look at these changes keeps my stress level in check.

Most of my stressors come from administrative decisions. Constant changing of curriculum, policies, lay-offs and firings, the changing of due dates for projects are all unpleasant and unnerving. I enjoy my teaching time and go home...and try to leave the rest at work.

It's great to take a step back Larry and spend some time reflecting. You are right, when we take the time to process how we're feeling - and to develop strategy on our next moves - it can help a lot with stress.

I found that a major stress in my life was traffic, especially when there seemed to be no reason for it. Once I identified it I made changes in my routine that allowed me to overcome it. I just leave for work earlier and avoid the congestion all together, I get to work earlier and that allows more time to focus on how I want to teach class and present material. I found that reduced stress on many levels for me. I do not have many stresses once I got rid of traffic.

Traffic is such a major stressor for so many instructors Jerry. It's great to hear that you found a new route. What a major relief that must be.

Stress is caused by many factors these days, for myself it is caused by the corporation changes which always changing, there is not a consistent work environment which causes stress all around the work environment, with this in turn it effects many peoples home life and health which in turn effects their ability to educate students successfully

The current cause of a vast majority of my stress is work related. The company for which I am currently working for is the same company that several others whom have made comments work for. The changes in our corporation, organization structure,pay and curriculm are all the leading causes of my stress, with pay leading the pack. It is very difficult the deal with the stress because when you look around every one is dealing with the same stress and it has become depressing and overwhelming.

Sounds really overwhelming Tenisha. Sometimes it's hard when people around you are all stressed out about the same thing. Makes it difficult to take a step back and bring a fresh perspective. Trying to take a break from that context may be the best solution.

Sign In to comment