Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Task Prioritization

Think about the tasks that are most important and urgent for you to complete. Do you usually choose to accomplish these tasks right away or do you tend to put these tasks off for another time? Based on what you have learned in this module about task prioritization, will you change the order in which you accomplish important and urgent tasks in the future?

I am a firm believer of lists and will try out the number system to prioritize tasks. Previously I have separated the page into high med and low priority lists which I found also helps lessen anxiety over the number of items that need to be accomplished.

I have always been a list maker but never been one to prioritize these tasks on paper just always doing it in my mind. This segment has shown me the advantage of actually seeing it on paper as well. I think this is an excellent idea that I will share with my students and have already incorporated in my private life. I have found that I did procrastinate more than I realized. Hopefully with this method I will get things done in a more efficient manner.

Eugene, That sounds like a good plan. People who struggle with the challenge of immediacy are often effective in their roles but very stressed. Spreading things out and taking the time to do things right can help with both productivity and balance.

Dr. Melissa Read

Holly, Crossing tasks off can give us such a wonderful sense of accomplishment. It's easy to forget how much we have accomplished when everything is not on paper.

Dr. Melissa Read

Linda, It sounds like you have found wonderful direction. I'd love to hear a follow up on how your list making is working for you. I know it requires a little energy up front but it can pay off significantly in the end!

Dr. Melissa Read

June, The number system works great. Go ahead and give it a try if you need more detail than high, medium and low can offer.

Dr. Melissa Read

I address the most important & urgent tasks first. I will change the order of these tasks by assigning a physical deadline. This will be most helpful for those tasks requested by others. I will make sure these tasks are placed appropriately among my existing tasks on my To Do list.

I consider myself a highly organized individual. I make lists of tasks I have to do and organize the list as I check off items.

Each day, I usually elect to accomplish the completion of all tasks that are most and urgent right away, or as soon as possible; all other tasks thereafter based on necessity. All that I've learned in this module are things that I am already doing; therefore, I will continue doing it my way. I am a firm believer of the phrase "If it is not broke, don't fix it".

Dear Dr. Read,
I tend to approach tasks in a timely manner and use "to do" lists. In fact this course is being done weeks before the deadline so I can accomplish other tasks that I expect to come to light latter in the semester. Given that I already follow the suggest procedures, I will not change my approach. That does not mean that I may not learn something latter in your course.
Walter

I am a list maker! Checking off what I have completed always gives me a sense of accomplishment. I lean more towards trying to complete all tasks on my list ASAP (obstacle of immediacy). I have learned in this module that it is best to priotize tasks. I will strive to do that henceforth. Great lesson so far. I look forward to learning more.

I do not dare go to the store without making a list. If, when coming home, I am asked if I bought such and such an item and I had not, my reply usually is ,"I guess it was not on the list."
Being my fifty-fourth year as a classroom teacher, I find that I tend to not make a list per se, but I depend upon remembering what needs to be covered on a particular day and when in doubt, I refer to the published syllabus.
I do write on the white board asasignments due a week or two in the future as a reminder of tasks to be accomplished by them and as a reminder as to when I expect to receive their on-time work.

I rarely make a list of task.
I generally begin my day by thinking about what task must be accomplished and what may be accomplished later in the week. I'm typically a good time manager. I know based on my schedule that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are heavy teaching days full of lectures, assignment reviews and grading. Thursdays and Friday's are for committee work and meetings. What gets in my way are last minute request for meetings or last minute request for administrative duties.

Funny Robert. I guess I do make list from time to time. Going to the grocer is a great example. I too do not make list of task to complete. I personally find that making a to-do list overwhelms me and actually creates procrastination. So for you Robert is the list just in your head because of practiced experience or is it something else?

Right away - hardest thing first then all other things are easy.

What I need to do in each class is on the syllabus and the rest is in my head. I have been a classroom teacher for 54 years. Things are pretty much still in the noggin.
An old German sayning reads: Repetition makes the master.

Aldgenette, I hear you! At the same time, I wonder if you struggle with a touch of an immediacy issue. If so, you might consider just asking yourself how important each task is before you complete it and whether or not it can be put off until a little later.

Dr. Melissa Read

Walter, Understandably so. Sometimes taking a course like this helps you realize that you are already on track and that your methods do not need to be changed. If you've got a great system that's working for you, go with it.

Dr. Melissa Read

Dr. Felicia, Excellent to hear you are validating some of your current techniques and perhaps modifying others as well. I hope the remainder of this course content helps you.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment