Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Coping with Stress

Think about the stressors in your life that cannot be eliminated or reduced. Based on what you have learned in this module about healthy coping mechanisms, what will you do in the future to cope with these stressors?

To release stress, thinking about the stressors that may not be eliminated and choosing ways of coping with the situations will be of great help. Know what the situation that seems to be over the top for me and find results on what may help me. For me it always helps to know this is a space in time that will change. Remind myself to deal with this in a logical manner because the outcome may not be rewarding should I not listen to self talk. Discussing stressors with my peers always helps to get a good perspective on how they had handled the situation which in turn gives me a good idea what may help me to deal with stressors.

Sonia, You've mentioned a lot of outlets here. This is fantastic. It sounds like you have already developed a wonderful strategy for coping with stress and a wonderful approach. It's great to have that foundation and to build upon it as well.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have found that being able to exercise and stretch has been very helpful in the past. In
starting with caring for ourselves, I think this module has really reminded me on how easy it can be to let stress "win" and take over our lives.

This module has given me good suggestions for coping with stress. I like the idea of list making and then prioritizing your list. Even better is trying to eliminate or reduce your list. I was able to do just that with my work list. I have 2 list one for home and one for work. For right now that works for me.

Talking to others is my best way to handle stress. I already do breathing exercises and they are beneficial. I am not able to be very physical so I don't exercise much.

What I do now and will continue to do in the future in order to cope with the stress in my life that cannot be eliminated is not allow the stress to control me; yet continue to control the stress. By doing so; I will continue to eat a well balanced diet, reducing salt and sugar intake, getting plenty of sleep (at least 8 hrs if not 10), taking 10 minute walks around the building (either inside or out) between classes or during the break when time permits, being physical at the gym and outside, reading a good book or watching a good book. All of these seem to help me cope with stress so that I feel energized most of the time. One thing I will start doing is taking some deep breath periodically, and maybe a few stretches will at school. I already do this when I am at the gym working with the trainer, or whenever I walk or jog outside.

As I said in an earlier post, one thing that makes me very happy is to spend time near the ocean or water of some sort. I feel more grounded when I am near water and just seeing it or hearing it helps me appreciate nature and relax. I tend to take a short walk and look at small things like flowers blooming or listen to the birds chirp or other natural wonders to remind me that you really do need to clear your mind on a regular basis in order to be able to function more efficiently and effectively.

After reading some of the solutions offered by the participants in this forum, I feel that I can incorporate some or all of these solutions in my own life to help me to cope with stress more effectively. By using the techniques given, I will increase my productivity and balance my personal and professional life.

Stress will always be. Working on organization, not waiting until the last minute, walking away from the problem, returning, not letting it get the best of me, returning, and getting the job done.

Linda, Sharing with others is a wonderful outlet. The key is to find great listeners and those who you can trust.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have found that exercising and an hour of quite time daily helps elevate my stress and increases my productivity.

I agree---there will always be stress....the concept we can control is how we react to it!

In February I started back at the gym, knowing how much it used to help me with stress in the past. This term I only have one night class, so it made that easier to commit to. I have no night classes the next two terms, so that gives me even more flexibility.

Making a list helps to identify what is stressing me out. I have realized that some items I was not totally aware of because I was subconsciously ignoring them.

More exercise. I have found the more physical activity I do the more mentally prepared I am to deal with stress.

Arrington, Exercise is a wonderful way to increase productivity. I am curious to hear about the kinds of exercises that work best for you.

Dr. Melissa Read

Holly, Yes, it's absolutely how we manage through the stress that matters!

Dr. Melissa Read

I think remembering to breath is a good start. I fine myself holding my breath many times a day. Stretching and taking a walk several times a week would be effective too.

I will exercise.

I plan to exercise.

Sign In to comment