Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Immediacy

I get caught up in the trying to provide speedy customer service. I need to slow down and remember speed does not always equate to GOOD! Any thoughts?

You are concentrating too much on quantity as opposed to quality when providing customer service. Slow down, and work towards providing good quality customer service. Quality develops customer loyalty.

Interesting question Michele! You are right in that Speed does not always equal Good. Sometimes, it is imperative that we slow down to provide the highest quality customer service.

Here's a question. Who do you consider to be your customers? At a guess, you're probably thinking about your students. However, a new approach is to perceive everyone at work as customers, including staff members who need your assistance. With this perspective, are you really giving every ‘customer' speedy customer service?

I have the same issue. What I have learned to do is in between students, i try to take a quick time out for myself. I shut the door and just relax. Sometimes I will get up from where I am at and do a quick walk or stretch. I feel going outside and getting fresh oxygen is a good way to let go of toxins caused by stress. I breathe in the fresh air and fill my lungs. When I release, I let all the hot air out and refocus my mind to think slow. Another good idea is to go to the bathroom. This is another way to release toxins and washing your hands, the time to think about washing your hands free of the stress is also a great way to feel better about the stress. aas well as eating healthy and exercise, I try to do the best I can when not in school. when I am at school, I try to have snacks that are healthy on hand so I don't have to snack on candy and junk food.

Michele
You have the right idea. I was caught up in doing everything as quickly as possible to have more time to do more things. I found that slowing down and taking my time actually gets the job done more quickly. I can't explain how or why it works that way but it has lowered my stress level and I am more productive. There is a saying out West
"Pause, refresh". It's great advice.

What great advice Melissa. And I agree, when we balance both speed and accuracy, we have the greatest chance of success.

I have the same problem however it seems to stem from another issue. I just can't leave things unfinished. I have to get things done so they don't distract my mind from other things. If I leave anything unfinished it just bothers me until I FINALLY GET IT DONE. My personality seems to dictate that one task has to be complete before the next task can be started because I just can't seem to get comfortable with doing 2 things at once. I can't even seem to take that break until it's done. I am almost obsessive with that. If I were to take a break during the task it would just haunt me that it wasn't yet done. I wouldn't really rush to get it done but, it had to get done and then I could focus on the next thing.

Sounds like you definitely struggle will immediacy Mark. That's tough. Some instructors are just designed to want to get things finished right away. At the end of each day, particularly when you don't get everything accomplished, you might ask yourself what would happen if you wait just one day to complete outstanding tasks. If the outcome of that scenario doesn't have negative consequences, you can probably relax for the night.

Sign In to comment