Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Family pressure for success

The biggest stress factor is making ends meet for my families financial well being. The job stress is normal and it is relatively easy for me to keep things running smoothly. But sometimes the financial salary of being a teacher just doesn't add up. We find ourselves considering other professional optons, and wonder if they will meet with family approval. We also worry about the future job security etc...fine arts teachers such as myself seeing programs being folded. Society and criteria for success dictate my stress level. The family comes first and monitary reward is paramount.
The goal is to enjoy your job, and the passage of time...but at what price?

Joshua,

You make such interesting points. What is the societal criteria for success? What is your criteria for success? Are they the same?

Instructors are often rewarded with the prestige of teaching. The achievement of this prestige is defined by many to be success. Unfortunately, instructors are often not rewarded financially. In making the decision to teach, we must decide which reward is more fulfilling. The battle between living a scholarly life and living a well compensated life can cause a great deal of stress in the life of an instructor.

Stress fro the family life seems to conflict with my professional life and teaching life because of a lack of time. Without creating time in my family time area, I can't get prepared for the professional life of teaching. This time or over time seems to be the greatest amount of stress because my family sees it as a direction away from them. The conflict ends up causing fights, daily, and always on the weekends. How to you propose handling or creating an over time work area and meeting your family's needs without making them mad and myself more stressed because of letting them down?

I agree that we experience various pressures as teachers and that we do not receive the recognition nor pay we deserve, but enjoying what you do and knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of others is priceless.

Good points Patricia! There are many different types of reinforcement for teaching. Some are hard to see but highly motivating nonetheless.

I agree with this statement, if we could meet our financial goals without having to "moonshine" than i feel a big stress factor can be eliminated.

Joshua and all-

You are absolutely right!

What price are you willing to pay for a job that pays so little is a question that each of us have to answer.

What I did was start my own training company where I took my course curriculum and started an image consulting company first where I taught communication seminars at corporations. Then it branched into what it is now. It worked wonders for me.

Check it out: www.julieblair.com

You may think about how you can incorporate your own course materials and development into your own company so that you can not only help your income and family; but your community as well.

I never stress. "It is what it is" are the words to live by.

Sign In to comment