Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Streamlining the Grading Process

Think about the current format of your exams and homework assignments and how much time it takes for you to grade them. Based on what you have learned in this module, how will you format your exams and homework assignments differently in the future?

I am teaching material that does not require testing, exams, or homework.
It was interesting to find out that there are tools out there that would allow me to format tests quickly, if I ever needed to do so.

As a massage insturctor, I can have my exams in 4 sections. Hands on Demo, Turn in Home Work, Q&A Answers and 1 essay. I request an outline for the essay. This way I can make sure they have toucvhed on the highliged topics. I have an answerkey for the homework so that is fast to grade. After a test, we always revies the test with everybody.

Jo,

Your ideas for test grading sound quite effective. Requesting an outline for essay questions can really cut down on the amount of time that you spend searching for the correct answers on each exam. Also, having an answer key for the homework can significantly reduce grading time. These are both great ways to save time. Keep it up!

ALSO performing an oral presentation by a student would meet academic competency

As a Massage Instructor, I will observe hands on
competency, utilize written tests, passed out literature to do a Q&A essay.

Samuel,

You bring up a great point! Oral presentations can be efficiently graded because you can grade them in class. When class is over, your grading is done.

Ricky,

Yes, similar to Samuel's idea about grading oral presentations, hands on competency assessment can also occur during class time. There are so many ways to incorporate in-class assessments.

Most of my tests are multiple choice and matching. I do sometimes include short answer, but never essay. I do labeling for my Medical Terminology class and those are easy to grade. And when it comes time to correct assignments, we discuss the questions and answers as a group. And for tests, I go over the answers and I have the students correct their tests and then I review them to make sure that they haven't forgotten to mark any wrong and then all I have to do is to put the score in my grade book.

My only problem is if I misplace any of my worksheets that I give for extra help with the chapters that we are working on for that week. I usually have them in a certain folder, but sometimes I misplace them (more than likely from the previous quarter). That will be something that I will need to work on.

Tina,

It sounds like you are already implementing many of the strategies outlined in this module. Keep up the great work!

You had mentioned that your students grade their own exams and then, later, you double check their grading. This sounds like a good strategy to confirm that your students are giving themselves accurate assessments. However, this strategy could also be time consuming because, effectively, your exams are graded twice. If you find that you are short on time, you might ask your students to grade an exam that is not their own. Using this method, student grading may increase in accuracy – decreasing your need to double check their work.

HAVING RECENTLY MOVED AWAY FROM PAPER BASED TESTING, I NOW GET ALL MY STUDENTS TO TAKE TESTS ON A TESTING SERVER WHICH WE RECENTLY SET UP, THE TRANSITION HAS BEEN A LITTLE ROUGH AND HAS STRESSED ME OUT BUT I DO KNOW THAT A LITTLE MORE TWEAKING THIS WILL BE AN INVALUABLE FEATURE FOR THE FUTURE BY SIGNIFICANLTLY FREEING UP TIME FOR ME. CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THAT DAY.

All of the grading that I do involves practical projects instead of testing and homework. This means that I have to devote a majority of my day to setting up student projects to make sure they were performed correctly. I have found the most effective way of grading these projects is to have a set list of requirements that each student must meet. This means that, even though every project is different, each one is graded on similar criteria. This helps to provide a solid rhythm in my grading process, and, in turn, knocks off a lot of extra time.

Gordon,

Moving toward computerized testing is a great way to streamline the grading process. There are so many computerized testing and grading programs to choose from. They make grading quick and easy. You are right. It does take a little time and effort to set up computerized exams. At first, tt may even feel like it is easier to just continue administering the pencil and paper exams. That's why many instructors choose not to do computerized tests. But as you will soon see, computerized testing is a great investment toward more free time in the future.

Paul,

I am glad that you mention the development of performance criteria for students. Developing performance criteria can do so much more than just save time. By clearly identifying the objectives that students must meet, you can help them reach their educational goals. Performance criteria can also contribute to and support fair and unbiased grading practices.

I originally had a narrative format for the homework. Not only was it difficult to read it was extremely time consuming to mark.

I have already implemented my homework assignments to incorporate not only multiple choice questions, but one word fill-ins, as well as true and false questions.

I find that not only it is much quicker to mark, but it gives me a better indication of the level of comphrension in knowledge and reading comphrension.

Tina,

You bring up an important point. When grading becomes too time consuming and difficult for us, it can at times impair our ability to assess our students. Simplifying the grading process can actually benefit our students by giving us the time to assess them more carefully.

Presently we use a computerized test bank to generate quizes and exams. These are then graded with a electronic scantron. We find this dramatically reduces the amount of time needed to generate and grade exams.

Richard,

I imagine that this does dramatically reduce exam prep and grading time. It is interesting to think about how much time you could save if you used a computer to both generate and electronically grade exams. This could be one way to take your already streamlined process to the next level.

Medical transcription is a challenging time management area as it has a large volume of typed reports to constantly correct. Having students correct each others work in class, the instructor can add the grade after seeing the number of errors and corrections. A great time saver.

Good point Sandra -- and during this type of activity, students are tasked with focusing on the correct answers. In addition to being a time saver, student grading can also serve as a learning experience.

Sign In to comment