Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

classroom excercises?

what are some good classroom excercises yo help show students the relevance of nonverbal comunnication?

Gender expectations for "angry" students?

In the section about "angry students" the author of the course states: "(the pronoun "him" is being used here because hostile and angry students will almost exclusively be male)"

What research backs up this assertion?  I've been teaching in a trade-school environment in Chicago for many years and I have basically equal experience with angry students of both genders. 

Classroom management

Amazing info.  Have used this over and over to find my type of teaching techniques. 

Reviewing for test

How can I make review time more interesting and fun?

The interesting thing

about teaching is that at the beginning of every semester, the instructor must, once again, prove themself and earn respect from indivudals they've never met before.   

Instructor Success

In order to effetively manage a class, an instructor must show his or her students that he/she is knowledgable and cares about their success.

Syllabus and Classroom Expectations

The first day of class is so important in defining the expectations and objectives for the course.  Icebreakers and discussions as a group and with each student are fundamental in building rapport and a professional relationship with class members.

Using student as an Observer

Has anyone found this to back fire while in class? How did you handle the situation?

Managing a class

I have found as an Instructor that the most important thing to concentrate on is organization. Sometimes it takes me longer to organize than to actually go through the motions of the class, but it flows better, with good planning. Also as I complete a course I like to make notes on the class to see what was successful and what helped the students learn as opposed to what did not work. It really is an evolving lesson plan that I add to and take away from in order to get the best results.

In the beginning when I started… >>>

Interacting with students with a "quiet" voice

I have several students that are very quiet with such a low volume that it is difficult to hear their answers. I don't want to keep embarassing them by always asking them to speak louder. Any suggestions?

Ice breakers and the power they have over your class time

I have found that ice breakers can really set the day for your class. They help get everyone engaged and out of their rutt. I work with order students in business so teh mashmallow challenge, business card challenge all work well. We even do "Today in crazy news" all to get them engaged and interested in the class.

different ways

quick question: how do some of you all control the classroom when you see some students want you to go faster with the information then you have ones that are not understanding and you need to slow down what you are presenting. and then you have a student that wants to take over/  would llove to hear some tips and ideas as to how you are able to get the class back on the learning track and making sure everyone understands

Dealing With A Student Who Likes To Make Numerous Comments During Class Lectures

How does an instructor deal with a student who has a comment for every topic that is discussed in the classroom setting without offending that student?

Stressors

In general, emotions are contagious and stress has an impact on the quality of my interactions with others. The better I am at managing my own stress, the more I will positively affect those around me and the less other people's stress will negatively affect me. When I feel overwhelmed at work, I lose confidence and may become irritable or withdrawn. This can make me less productive and less effective. I feel if you ignore the warning signs of work stress that can lead to bigger problems. Beyond interfering with job performance and satisfaction, chronic or intense stress can lead… >>>

Dealing with Stress

Coping with stress is an essential tool. I keep a stress journal. This helps me to identify the regular stressors in my life and the way I deal with them. Each time I feel stressed, I keep track of it in my journal, which I have on my IPhone. As I keep a daily log, I will begin to see patterns and common themes, which I write down. (What caused my stress, how I felt, both physically and emotionally, how I acted in response and what I did to make myself feel better.

Exams

Exams include many questions measuring only knowledge of facts. One of the most common complaints from students is the test content did not reflect the material discussed in class or what the professor seemed to indicate was most important. I base all of my exams off the content taught in class and all homework assignments. I will allow the students to use their notebooks during the test. I encourage the students to take good notes, correct mistakes on their homework and understand where they made the mistake, and to be able to use all resources available to them.   

Overcoming Procrastination

Since there are a lot of demands placed on us (Instructors), it is important to realize that procrastination can severely hinder our academic performance. This is true in life as well. With this in mind, it is essential to have a realistic game plan for overcoming procrastination. Here are some things I do to help myself: 1) Assess the Task. I spend a few minutes thinking through everything that needs to be done, then, if possible, segment the task into various smaller pieces. It’s much easier to tackle smaller tasks than one huge task. 2) I believe once you start… >>>

Openhand

A openhand gesture is always the way to greet your students to ensure comfort and security in the classroom.

Aware

Being extremely aware of non-verbal communication is held with high regard.

Cues

Cues are a great way to be in constant communication with your students