Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Great Topic

I found ED104 to be a great leaning tool. Some things I already do and it was nice to see I was doing the right things and some things I will start to do. It was Great :)

What to do with those talkative students

I love having students who are excited about what they are learning but yes I do have to say they become very draining when you are trying to lecture and get the quiter ones involved...I love the idea of note taking and the having of just so many cards for those talkative ones  to keep them thinking and busy.... good advice stategy!!

Daily Review

Should I complete a daily review with the students 15 minutes before class end?

RETENTION

I find educators now are entertainers, therapist, counselors, high school administrators and screen writers. We are continually rewriting our scripts to educate every hour, every day, every week, every semester . This is required just to keep students engaged. So just when you have it down, you start a new class with new challenges 

Managing students vs manipulating students

Unfortunately, there are situations when students get other instructors involved in a situation and the "other" insturcor sides with the student and lets the student know (leaving the first instructor our of the loop completely). Basically, the student is manipulating the situation and the instructor is allowing it. Instuctros must be equiped to live by the "golden rule" - to which is to remain impartial in the student's eye - even if they agree with the student - becasue they want to reamin "on good terms" (be every students friend).   

Instructors must know where to draw the line when… >>>

Managing the Class and Students

I used to ignore students who were loud and then when they realized they were not getting my attention they would stop.  I learned alot from this module. 

Observer technique

I really like the observer technique. Has anyone had success using this?

It is always hard to catch a student cheating.

Just to add to the cheating discussion, I agree with letting the student talk about what happened during the incident, to understand their point of view. Action must be taken.  

New instructors

I was not new to instruction when hired by my employer but I certainly didn't and don't know everything. Three years ago I was thrown into a class setting without guidance or training about classroom management and it was the worst experience for me because I was not prepared to handle angry students. I think that all new and returning teachers should get some training in managing classrooms. it would definitely save everyone some heartaches.

Catching "zzz's" in computer class

Redirecting students in a fairly quiet computer classroom can be a challenge.  I first ask the student if he/she are feeling alright and offer for he/she to go take a break, get a drink, or freshen up to help wake he/she.  If the student is a repeat offender, I meet with he/she personally to discuss solutions.

Factors that put a student at risk to dropping out of school

I think one of the main factors a student drops school is not having the family support. Students need alot of motivation through the program of study and if they do not obtain it from their family, they will more likely withdraw their program of study.

New instructors

The section on common instructor mistakes should be a must read for all new instructors.  I wish I had read through it when I first started.  It would have put my mind at ease before that first day.  I had to force my self not to say "today is my first day of teaching."  

ED104 Common instructor mistakes

Orientation of a new hired instructor is very important to alleviate the new teacher frustration about class preparation, access resources, company policies and the most important one is gaining her students respect. I had the chance to orient a new teacher this month and I noticed the dramatic changes in her performance, attitude and confidence as she was afraid her students will not respect her. Do you think that take time from your own class or add more expertise to your background?Do you think that her students satisfaction can have positive outcome when they rotate and come to you as… >>>

ED104

Topics are very interesting. I like the strategies of how to handle cheating students, angry students, and silent students then highlight how important is written complaint. Broken trust between instructor and a particular student keeps instructor alet all the time from any student behavior changes /attitude and that can be energy depriving. What do you think?

ED104

I like the strategy of (Use it wisely cards approach ) to handle center stage student but I will give them apportunity to get more cards if they ask or make good comments.

Using them as a help with tuotoring is another good strategy I utilize to vent their energy. I give them the board marker to solve hard problems on the board.

ED104 Course

I loved the idea of making a calender per module attached to syllabus highlight the deadlines for assignments and enforce requirements /expectations for each student.

Cerbal and Nonverba; Communication.

I find myself doing both when communicating with anyone.

Ann Nelson

I do learn best by hands on

I have learned that there are many learning styles when teaching. Students may also learn with a combination of learning styles. My favorite saying is : You need to see it, say it, hear it and paractice it in oder to successfully learn.

Managing Adult Classes

Adult students are a completey different dynamic and must be treated accordingly, an adult student wants disciplined classes with good structure but not an instructor yelling and screaming.

Managing the Class and Student

I really enjoyed this class. I do feel your students will respect you more if they are disciplined appropriately. I also feel that with good management the students will be more focused as well.